What Are Red Cornish Cross?

shedinator

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2016
I processed all but 4 of my Rangers this morning and was sitting down to figure my final costs per bird ($10.43 if you factor in amortization of plucker and scalder), when I noticed something odd. Looking at the price sheet from the place where I bought the chicks, they have three meat birds listed:
White Cornish Cross
Red Cornish Cross
Freedom Rangers and Grey Broilers
here's the sheet for reference: http://www.burrfarm.com/price.php

I have never heard of a Red Cornish Cross, and every attempt to google them just turns up a bunch of articles about the difference between Red Rangers and Cornish Cross. Anyone know anything about them?

I've never heard of them either but my first guess would be a Cornish crossed with a Partridge or Buff Plymouth Rock rather than a White Rock.

Seeing that they have limited varieties of birds its a good chance they are Cornish crossed with either their RIR or New Hampshire Reds. Thats my guess

I have no idea. The people at that hatchery should know, call them and ask. I'd love to hear the explanation.

That price sheet is strange in another way. They will sex the white Cornish Cross for you but the others only come in cockerels. That fails the common sense test. What do they do with the red Cornish Cross and Rangers females they hatch?

I have no idea. The people at that hatchery should know, call them and ask. I'd love to hear the explanation.

That price sheet is strange in another way. They will sex the white Cornish Cross for you but the others only come in cockerels. That fails the common sense test. What do they do with the red Cornish Cross and Rangers females they hatch?

So, Burr are not a hatchery anymore, which I found out when I ordered these birds. They buy chicks from a hatchery in bulk, and sell them at that bulk rate. When I bought these, I had to wait 3 weeks because they basically tack the smaller orders on to larger ones for the bulk pricing. So I asked what they do with the ranger pullets and the response was "we don't order them."

If nobody knows, I'll email the farm and see what they can tell me

So, Burr are not a hatchery anymore, which I found out when I ordered these birds. They buy chicks from a hatchery in bulk, and sell them at that bulk rate. When I bought these, I had to wait 3 weeks because they basically tack the smaller orders on to larger ones for the bulk pricing. So I asked what they do with the ranger pullets and the response was "we don't order them."

If nobody knows, I'll email the farm and see what they can tell me
I'm guessing it either a price factor, or perhaps not enough demand for the pullets. some businesses know that they may not generate enough sales to make it worth their while if the price point is too high. The only other logical explanation is the supplier either does not sell them (ie they have a dedicated buyer just for females) or does not offer them on a consistent bases for likely the same reason (dedicated other large buyer)....

Back
Top Bottom