What are Roos??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HbbyFrmGrl, Feb 16, 2013.

1. HbbyFrmGrl

HbbyFrmGrl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2012
    Tennessee
    Ok everyone, my Roos from the 'Barnyard special" at the feed store have finally gotten big enough to attempt a breed ID. I have No clue what they are but they sure are a pretty mix!!

Darth

[​IMG]

Vlad
    [​IMG]

Bane
    [​IMG]

2. Henhousehijinks

Henhousehijinks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    No idea but wow! beautiful !

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm guessing at Black Copper Marans or maynbe Welsummer for the first, Silver Lqced Wyandotte for the second and Golden Laced Wyandotte for the third.

Strike Wyandotte, those are supposed to have pea combs, not straight combs.

Sorry.

4. HbbyFrmGrl

Oct 10, 2012
    Tennessee
    Thanks! They are all just so strange looking that I always change my mind from what I thought they were lol!

5. ThePaintedHen

ThePaintedHen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    Berlin, Massachusetts
    Love their names (esp. Vlad). They are really handsome boys. What are your plans for them?

6. HbbyFrmGrl

Oct 10, 2012
    Tennessee
    They came in a "barn yard special" batch and I got really Attatched to them so they stuck around. I hope they can all continue to get along and treat my girls right!

I guess I don't have any plans except to spoil them and see what I end up with if I decide to hatch out any chicks this year =)

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think in this case "barnyard special" is the same as "barnyard mix". They all look like mixed breed roos to me.

8. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

x2

9. HbbyFrmGrl

Oct 10, 2012
    Tennessee
    Yes, I know they are mixes. I was hoping for some guesses as to what kind of mixes they might be.

10. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Vlad and Bane look to have some spangling going on. The only spangled breed I can think of is the hamburg, but those guys have rose combs and they're light-bodied. Your birds look pretty heavy. If I were to guess, I'd say that they have some spangled hamburg way back in their ancestry, and then some orpington/australorp/single-comb wyandotte further up. Whatever they are, they are very pretty and unusual!

Darth looks like black copper marans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by