What are some strange habits your chickens have?

One of my gold comet pullets, Suzy-que, seems to have it in her head that getting on top of her coop, puffing her feathers, and squawking before taking a flying leap off is the highest form of entertainment because she'll keep doing it.

If mine are out free ranging and they see my come outside it's like a stampede, everyone wants to come see if I have any food.
incoming the lion king GIF
My husband says they look they're picking up their pants to run when they go full speed. We used to have a silkie roo who did it so well he looked like an old man when he ran.

I have several chickens with strange habits.

1. Stormblade loves to bite. I don't know why. You get near her, SHE BITES. Another chicken gets near her, SHE BITES. A bug gets near her, SHE BITES. A wall gets near her, SHE BITES. She's a bit of a biter. Okay, not a bit- she's a biter by far.
2. Two ducks love following me around the yard- but if I turn around, they stop and run away. How do I know that they follow me if that happens, you ask? I turn around and see their retreating back ends.
3. Max loves attacking my mom.
4. Marshy makes weird noises at night.
5. Marshy will not use roosts.
6. Ebony loves jumping out of boxes. Not escaping- she has never tried escaping- but there is this one box that she likes to sit on. Then I put her back. She jumps out again and gives me this "Go ahead, put me back! I'm just going to jump out again!" look. Sigh.
7. Dove jumps against walls. She just throws herself directly at them.
8. When Max falls asleep, it's impossible to wake him up until morning.
9. Moonwing and Rockett share this- they have amazing wings and amazing wingspans. They fly elegantly through the air- and then they crash directly into a bush. The same bush. Every. Single. Time.
10. If you put one of the ducks on one side of the yard and the other on the other side, they will search the entire yard for the other one, but cross paths during the search and not notice at all.

I can take a full pan of food out of the coop and they will pay no attention, but when I put it back in 10 seconds later, they can't get to it fast enough.

The coop housing the Leghorns is near the clothesline. If there's anything flapping on the clothesline, my roo will stand guard to protect the girls from it and get them inside the coop. Towels are the worst.

Back
Top Bottom