What are some tips on moving chicks from brooder to coop?

Jun 9, 2021
Colorado
Hi everyone,
I have 5 week old chicks (well five weeks in one day) and I am going to be out of town on the 28th through the third so not that long, and I need the chicks to be moved into the coop by the 28th I would be most comfortable for them to be moved in before the 28th so we can make sure everything goes all right while we are still in town. we have been letting the chicks explore the coop and run for about two hours each day and we have been doing this for about a week what are the next steps from here and if we were to move them into the coop at about 5 1/2 weeks old the weather is going to be pretty good rangeing from The lows being 50 to 55 and the highs being 75 to 88. any tips on moving the chicks into the coop and when we should start doing it if we want them moved in by the 28th thanks.
by the way just for reference we have one barred rock, one Easter Egger, and two golden comets.

No Adult chickens?
I don't do integration. My hens have their own coop.
If they have their own coop like mine.
I prefer to put them in the coop in the morning. When I put them in the coop they stay there.
My latest chicks didn't get put into coop till 5 pm. So they only had about 3 1/2 hours to get accustomed to it and were scared when it got dark, so I stayed with them till they fell asleep, about a half hour. The next night they were fine.
I put them in the coop at 4 1/2 weeks old with a heat lamp, because temps were falling to 40F overnight for a couple of nights.
20210614_193119.jpg

Temps were in the 60s overnight lately, heat lamp off.
All were on the roost at sunset within a week.
20210618_203055.jpg

They'll be 6 weeks old Wednesday.
I have Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds. GC

No Adult chickens?
I don't do integration. My hens have their own coop.
If they have their own coop like mine.
I prefer to put them in the coop in the morning. When I put them in the coop they stay there.
My latest chicks didn't get put into coop till 5 pm. So they only had about 3 1/2 hours to get accustomed to it and were scared when it got dark, so I stayed with them till they fell asleep, about a half hour. The next night they were fine.
I put them in the coop at 4 1/2 weeks old with a heat lamp, because temps were falling to 40F overnight for a couple of nights. View attachment 2727194
Temps were in the 60s overnight lately, heat lamp off.
All were on the roost at sunset within a week. View attachment 2727205
They'll be 6 weeks old Wednesday.
I have Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds. GC
So do you think it’s OK to already introduce them into their coop overnight? and no we do not have any older hens. Today overnight the temperature will be 70s to 60s.

So do you think it’s OK to already introduce them into their coop overnight? and no we do not have any older hens. Today overnight the temperature will be 70s to 60s.
They'll be 5 weeks old tomorrow and 60s overnight.
If they have been off of a heat source they should be fine.
It's been 60s overnight here and my 5 1/2 weeks old are fine without heat.
20210620_051703.jpg

Photo from yesterday morning wakeup. GC

If they've got their feathers and you've been weaning them off heat then they're good to go out.

I've got my 4.5-week-olds off heat for the past several days. I'd backed the heat down as their feathers grew and noticed that even my half-naked Langshans weren't huddling under the light first thing in the morning anymore at 70F so I took the lamp out.

They'll be 5 weeks old tomorrow and 60s overnight.
If they have been off of a heat source they should be fine.
It's been 60s overnight here and my 5 1/2 weeks old are fine without heat. View attachment 2727228
Photo from yesterday morning wakeup. GC
Our chicks are the exact same age! And I have a Barred rock to!

Attachments

• F3433E4B-A3C9-489D-B4D6-AD981B9FB881.jpeg
    F3433E4B-A3C9-489D-B4D6-AD981B9FB881.jpeg
    903.4 KB · Views: 15

Back
Top Bottom