What are some trending chicken breeds

I have several types of chickens but I raise silkies and have quality types. For a fluffy lovable pet chicken I think silkies take the cake,
IMG_20180907_201139230.jpg
IMG_20181006_114320004.jpg

See my point? Silkies are popular and trendy!
And for good reasons too. They are silly, unique looking and have unique personalities. As well as being great with kids. That’s the basic remedy for many popular breeds. Except that they aren’t the best foragers. :rolleyes:

Ayam cemanis and maybe SFH are also really liked.
I personally like ayam cemanis because they are unique. I like funky :)
:oops:

I love my Swedish Flowers. They are all so unique looking and have great personality. Not a snuggle and hold me chicken but very curious and friendly. Mine walk right up to me and talk. Although mine safe range not free range they are good foragers and lookouts. For dual purpose birds I would say good egg layers. Mine tend to go for almost a week of egg a day then take a few days off.
You have coined a new term "safe range" I love that!

I like the term safe range too. I saw posts of killings or missing birds and only evidence could be hawks in BYC posts lately; I am more cautious letting my girls out. We have a hawk soaring the area almost daily but never lands here usually in the woods or someone else’s yard but if I notice he is in the area that is a day my girls stay in the fenced/roofed run. I’d like to think I have learned tremendously from others experiences here on BYC. That is one experience I can pass on, predator attack.

I like the term safe range too. I saw posts of killings or missing birds and only evidence could be hawks in BYC posts lately; I am more cautious letting my girls out. We have a hawk soaring the area almost daily but never lands here usually in the woods or someone else’s yard but if I notice he is in the area that is a day my girls stay in the fenced/roofed run. I’d like to think I have learned tremendously from others experiences here on BYC. That is one experience I can pass on, predator attack.
Well put. I, too have learned a lot from BYC. We also "safe range" in a large open top fenced area with plenty of covered spots. We have still lost a couple that flew over the fence. I tend to keep them in their runs when I'm inside now.
Since I've sort of got off topic, I have to chime in with my own favorite breeds. I love ORPINGTONS! They are beautiful and friendly, and they come in a multitude of colors. They are hilarious when they come running for treats. If you have ever seen an orpington run, you know what I mean.

What is the zip file? Henderson's breed chart? I read your article, but didn't see the file.

Go under Gallery once in the article and the attached breed chart should show. Click on zip file and open on desk top. Might need double click once on desk top. No it’s not Henderson’s Chart. I made an excel file of all the common large fowl and bantam breeds, their characteristics, and laying information myself by hand in one place. Keep looking it’s there! I downloaded it myself. There are a few rares as well.

Well put. I, too have learned a lot from BYC. We also "safe range" in a large open top fenced area with plenty of covered spots. We have still lost a couple that flew over the fence. I tend to keep them in their runs when I'm inside now.
Since I've sort of got off topic, I have to chime in with my own favorite breeds. I love ORPINGTONS! They are beautiful and friendly, and they come in a multitude of colors. They are hilarious when they come running for treats. If you have ever seen an orpington run, you know what I mean.
I also safe-range on the weekends when we aren't busy.

I have noticed that chickens running in general is hilarious! :)

Back
Top Bottom