What Are Squirrels Like?

We have a red colored one called "fox squirrels" and the little grey squirrels. I grew up in rural eastern Okla.where they are plentyful and were a great small game to hunt. I have spent many a morning watching the sun rise in the squirrel woods. They are very tasty when cooked. Young ones can be fryed and older ones boiled with dumplings.
The are concidered pest by city folk and no more glamorus than a bushy tailed rat. But I( always like to have them around. They can be destructive but also provide hours of entertainment. Our local golf course has some rare white ones. So I guess it depends on where you live and how you were raised and if you are an animal lover on weather you like them or not. I do .tremendously!

I truly like to watch the little devils play around the yard, but lately they have worn out their welcome.
List of recent(In the past week) things they have done to me.
1. Stole my fresh picked corn and ate it. (I was in the house like 15 minutes)
2. Dug up my potted plants looking for their stash.
3. Walked on my car with dirty feet.
4. Stealing straw from the yard where I just resowed some grass.

My aunt calls them bushy tailed rats and in the past I thought she was being harsh but this week I think she may be right.
I just can't seem to hate them though, they do the most absurd things in the pursuit of food!

Tasty deep fried on a bed of buttered rice...
5.gif

JK!! They're mostly too small to make it worth the cleaning time.
lol.png

To me they're like wild quail without the wings: Run across the road in front of the car. "Yikes! A car!" Run almost off the road. "Oh Wait! I forgot my nuts!" Shoot BACK across the road, but then in the middle, "YIKES. A car!" Back off the road. "OH Wait! I forgot my nuts"...

And thus the saying "He's a nice guy, but he's a little squirrely..."
84.gif

Quote:
gig.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
I don't mind squirrels too much, provided they're not trying to get into the house. We don't have any in the front yard trees anymore, once they found out the mutt can climb trees.

I had a grey squirrel as a pet once, she was wonderful! A cat had gotten into a nest of them in N Y. My brother was trying to feed them, but got the flu so when I went home on break from college, I took over feeding. They were so tiny and helpless, eyes not even open yet. The two that had been bitten by the cat died , but my girl lived and was so sweet. Of course, when she got older she would run up you like a tree, and sit on your shoulder. It kind of startles you if you are not ready for it. I had a little collar and leash, took her everywhere with me. In the winter she would snuggle inside the hood of my jacket .
love.gif
But I have heard they will eat chicks, so I don't encourage wild ones around here.

Squirrels are amusing, and our dog keeps them from doing any damage. It's hilarious to watch her run a squirrel up a tree and then sit at the base for hours on end, waiting for it to come down.
lol.png

I call em tree rats.... They come down all hours of the night and day and raid my feed bin (two metal garbage cans)... they leave urine and feces all over the place... They squawk at you when you try to shoo them off of the feed bin.... THey steal my EGGS.. yep the eggs too. They are very pesky and loud. (but cute so I can't bear to kill em)

I like squirrels but don't see too many. They seem to stay in the woods behind our house, even though we have a ton of walnut trees in our yard. I have never had a problem with them and wouldn't call them rats. They don't bother the bird feed or anything.

At my mom's house they have a couple and they have the squirrel feeders- a little wooden platform with a nail sticking up- put an ear of corn on the nail for them to eat. I used to love to watch them.

now wild rabbits on the otherhand are getting out of control. last night when I came home from church at around 10pm I counted 14 in our yard! 14!!

The animal you hate to love and love to hate. Yes they can be damaging, but oh they can provide so much amusement. We have one we call Fatty - I think it has only ever eaten dog food. It would totally fail in the wild. At the local College campus they've had to ask that students dont feed them, they were getting obese on a steady diet of Cheetos and Pizza. I love to watch them play. They will scurry up and down trees chasing each other. And yes, they are tasty - just not the city squirrels

Back
Top Bottom