WHAT are the ABA/APA....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poulets De Cajun

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Houston MetroMess, Texas
... approved colors of Cochins? I dont have the standard books, and have read every website on the first 3 to 5 pages of a google search and I cannot find them. I have found the standard multiple times, but the approved varieties aren't there. And the Cochins International website doesn't list them either....

My 2005 Bantam Standard lists barred, birchen, black, black tailed red, blue, brown red, buff, buff columbian, columbian, golden laced, lemon blue, mottled, partridge, red, silver laced, silver penciled, white. Not sure if any have been accepted into the standard since then, & not sure what differences there are from APA. In general ABA & APA try to coordinate their standards and recognised varieties, but it is not 100%.

I quess my first question would be - Why in the world do you not have a Standard? How on earth are you going to breed show quaility birds and go to shows with out it?
Looking on line instead of buying a SOP and supporting the APA or ABA is a cop out to me.
You obviously are wanting to get serious about exhibiting poultry - Buy a Standard!

Bob

Quote:
I would wait for the new standard printing before I bought one.

The 2009 APA standard is supposed to be out by the end of the year. A limited quantity should be available at the APA national in the Fall.

Matt

Quote:
I just do not view it as an essential part of breeding at this time.

(A) My flock is VERY small as I live in the city.
(B) The books are REALLY expensive.
(C) I dont need the standard for every single breed of bird, only the two that I raise.
(D) Most of the information on the standards that I need is available online.
(E) I've done just fine without them thus far, placing BV at MANY shows this last year.
(F) I have an incredible and supportive group of friends who have taught me WAY more than any book can.

I feel that my membership is as supportive as I can be with the amount of "chicken money" that I have at this time. Job loss has effected my family, as I'm sure it has many others, and unfortunately I can only afford absolute necessities at this time. Perhaps I'll be able to purchase them later on.

Last edited:
Quote:
Rude very rude. Asking for information is never a reason for an attack. Maybe just looking for more information on color variety that he doesn't have... Whatever the reason for the question, there is no reason to be snotty.

A soft cover Black and White verison of the standard is available for $14.00. I use mine almost everyday and its getting very dog eared, but since I don't have a photographic memory, it's my backup. Two trips to McDonalds would cost more.

Quote:
Very rude... I agree with emmalynn, this is NO reason to attack him.

He is a GREAT breeder of silkies and if you had any idea of what he does/is doing then you would understand.

He specializes in Silkies, not Cochins which is why he was asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom