What Are The Best Breeds Of Banty To Buy??

Quote:
It is very hard to have quantity and quality, and to be realistic, the most popular breeds are probably large fowl breeds that will produce eggs and can be raised and slaughtered.

I agree a dual purpose popular nice SQ large fowl would be a good choice. Bantams are not generally layers like large fowl are one or two eggs out of a flock of ten is probably pretty average maybe a little low. I also have noticed that it is harder to hatch bantams than large fowl this may not be true but I have gathered that from my expierence. I'm in no way trying to discourage anything you are thinking about doing just trying to give you an idea of what is going on. I honestly think the more rare a breed is the more you will turn a buck. With a very popular breed you will need to be at the top end of the scale to make it.

I'm not sure what a good layer would be. I guess like a breed like Bantam Orpingtons, Bantam RIR's, Bantam Plymouth Rocks something like that. These may retain the laying ability of their large fowl counterparts. True bantams would probably not be a good choice or bantam breeds that have large fowl counterparts that have low laying rates. I don't generally think that game breeds are great layers. This maybe the wrong train of thought. But my thought pattern would be not to get a true bantam and to get a bantam that has a LF counterpart that has a good laying rate and the bantam version retains that trait. This would give you what you are after I believe.

67615_v_025.jpg

67615_v_017.jpg

I sure like my whites. Good mommas.

Find out what is popular in your area, and have the best! That means buying the best to begin with, breed well, and campaign them at shows. Only when it is well known that you have good quality stock will people pay you ridiculous prices for your birds. Just breeding OEGB rather than Silkies won't guarentee you a ticket on the gravy train. If you want to make money right away, you'll want to breed things that people can consume, eggs or meat.

i went over there and i ended up getting a trio of blue bantams, a pair of self blue bantams, a pair of white japanese bantams, a pair of bb red, and a pair of light brown bantams....i have a question though i think self blue bantam roos are just a light blue or atleast i have seen in pics....mine has the lime yellow feathering almost looks like a lemon blue...what do you think??.....also the reason i went for the bantys is cuz i have a pair of leghorns a pair of rirs a sexlink roo 3 rir roos a brown leghorn roo a silver and gold laced wyandotte hen an americana hen a black sexlink hen a red sexlink hen a pair of columbian rocks lol and the list goes on and on not to mention the 50 eggs i have in the incubator....only have 10 days to find out if my seremas hatch lol

What breed are the birds you bought? You mentioned Japs for one variety, but what about the rest? Self blue in some breeds means lavender, but in others, it is blue without lacing or other variations. Go to the ABA website and look at the pictures to help figure out the colors. Lemon blue won't look like self blue at all, and it doesn't look like what a lot of people on here call lemon blue either. Congrats on your birdies!

i need to get some pics and i will asap....my self blue roo has no lacing just blue like it should be but he has the lime yellow color running from his head past his neck like a lemon blue does....is this normal?

68243_019.jpg

68243_020.jpg

68243_018.jpg

68243_021.jpg

here is the banty that is supposedly a self blue but has the yellow around his neck so ne ideas....also i have this other banty roo that i am wanting to know what the name of it is??...thanks very much

Back
Top Bottom