What are the best breeds of chickens to raise for there meat?

Quote:
Not to disagree but I have to. For some of use we think it is beneficial to have a DP flock.
We raise both but if everything keeps working this year the only hybrid meat birds on the property will be for the fair meat pen.

A dual purpose chicken raised to 20 to 26 weeks will eat about the same amount of feed that the Cornish X does in 8 weeks. I have empirical evidence that backs up this statement too. See the link: http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/avian/feedingchickens.pdf OSU also has similar charts.

If you just want two separate flock or just meat the CX or plain Cornish might be the best for you, but if you want a sustainable dual purpose flock-- get good breeding stock from a breeder for Rocks, Buckeyes or another heritage breed.

Our experience has been that the Rocks are better layers than the Buckeyes. The Buckeyes we have like to go broody. We were not impressed with the strain of Delawares we raised either; our Rocks and Buckeyes grew much quicker than these.

Buckeyes are not just a dark meat bird; they can easily dress out at 3.75 to 4 pound in 20 weeks free ranging probably quicker and more weight if fed strictly high protein rations. They have a wide decent breast 3/4 to 1 1/4 inch thick. Our strain is making a great meat bird all by itself. My experience with the two breeds is that the Buckeyes and White Rocks get to a usable age for meat faster then the Delaware's I had.

Other ideas for sustainable meat are Pekin ducks -- ready in 7 to 8 weeks. Grow them out to 12 weeks if you want them larger. Easy to incubate,raise, etc...

Rabbits are also another good source of fast meat once you get started. Rabbits can also be ready as fryer in 8 to 12 weeks.

Quote:
Some of us prefer the DP because we like the model

#1 Sustainable -- I don't have to buy chicks when I want chicken -- the cost of Cornish X chicks can range from fifty cents to three dollars

#2 Free Range & Forage -- I don't have to buy 20 pounds of feed per bird.

#3 Taste -- A bird raised more than 8 weeks will develop the rich flavor that chicken is supposed to have which our family expects.

#4 Cost -- I have little cost in any of the meat we raise since ours free range and we use the culls.

#5 Time -- I spend no more time raising a few extra since when you are breeding you are going to end up with extras anyway.

I sell extra eggs and meat -- so our little farm basically pays for itself. I have no trouble selling meat from these DP chickens either.

Now, if you by commercial chicks that the industry uses and feed commercial feeds then what is different than just buying supermarket chicken for $0.89 per pound? If time is really money as you say, then wouldn't it just be simpler to go to the store? No, you have apparently determined that there is value in raising your own.

If I wanted to raise chicks to sell and make a living with, then yes, the commercial hybrids are the way to go. I'm looking for the taste that you just cannot get with a fast growing bird.

Quote:
#3 Taste -- A bird raised more than 8 weeks will develop the rich flavor that chicken is supposed to have which our family expects.

I can't get over how people keep talking about taste....

What you people call "TASTE".. I call age, tough, and more gamey like in taste...

if you want old, tough, dark meat... eat guinea, or old hen...

If you want tender to cut with a knife, succulent, juicy in your mouth.. eat young birds... and to me young birds, means less time on this earth... CORNISH X

I compare it to grassfed beef... Yup it's leaner, but it doesn't have the marbling that cornfed does... Marbling means taste... lean means tough, stringy, and LEAN>>>

Trust me I've ate every kind, including the darn ole Holstein lean beef.

as my mom always told me.> PERIOD< END OF STATEMENT.

A 16 to 26 week chicken is not dry, chewy ,or gamey. It may be the chicken breed being used but it should be tender and juicy. Now if all you feed is straight commercial feeds you may get different results. We through plenty of corn at them the last week or two and that does add to the taste. Let people try both, just because you and I like something different doesn't mean either one has better taste --just different.

Quote:
hands down, the best chicken to raise for it's meat is the cornish cross... keep your hens for eggs, and buy new Cx chicks every year... and be dollars ahead...

In most cases, the egg sales and consumption are the only things keeping flocks running profitably. When you start taking eggs away from that... and then try to raise your own birds to eat... you get two things..

one, less eggs to sell.
two, birds that take more than 2x longer to get ready for butchering.

Three, the rest ( other than CornishX ) consume 2x, 3x, 4x or more feed + other production and other holding costs to yield similar , but more often than not, less tender and lesser amount of meat for your dining pleasure.

Im going to look into getting me some Thanks!
big_smile.png

Quote:
A dual purpose chicken raised to 20 to 26 weeks will eat about the same amount of feed that the Cornish X does in 8 weeks.

So why risk the extra time alive against potential predators and potential health problems... Personally, the quicker you get them, and the quicker you kill them the better off you are. Who cares if they eat the same ammount of feed? Time is money.

Buckeyes are not just a dark meat bird; they can easily dress out at 3.75 to 4 pound in 20 weeks free ranging probably quicker and more weight if fed strictly high protein rations. They have a wide decent breast 3/4 to 1 1/4 inch thick.
and this would be compared to a turkey sized Cornish x at the same age...

Personally, I think rabbits, or BBW turkeys are the way to go... man those turkeys smoked everything we've ever raised except the CX chicks... turkey isn't for everybody, and they're stupid... but they had the meat on them.. Biggest one we butchered at over 50 lb.

Thanks for the info:D Im not sure what im going to get I have never raised chickens for there meat I always just raised for the eggs. Im excited to try it out though to see the difference between store bought and the ones im going to raise.

Quote:

I can't get over how people keep talking about taste....

What you people call "TASTE".. I call age, tough, and more gamey like in taste...

if you want old, tough, dark meat... eat guinea, or old hen...

If you want tender to cut with a knife, succulent, juicy in your mouth.. eat young birds... and to me young birds, means less time on this earth... CORNISH X

I compare it to grassfed beef... Yup it's leaner, but it doesn't have the marbling that cornfed does... Marbling means taste... lean means tough, stringy, and LEAN>>>

Trust me I've ate every kind, including the darn ole Holstein lean beef.

as my mom always told me.> PERIOD< END OF STATEMENT.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom