What are the best breeds of chickens to raise for there meat?

has anyone tried to use the freedom rangers in a cross meat bird, using them with rocks, dels, marans, etc? i just wonder how their genetics would play out.

I'm raising a batch of Red Broilers from Ideal Hatchery, along with 11 Cornish X. I'm really liking the red broilers. Not as consistent in size but very healthy and active. Some of them are keeping up with theCornish at three weeks, some are smaller.
Even if they take 12-14 weeks to get to a 4-5 pound dressed weight, if I get less leg problems and don't have to worry as much about heart issues and breast sores, I'll be pleased. Plus, they're very pleasing to look at. I'm not much into white birds.
When I move, late next year, I'm going to try some different breeds to raise my own. Mainly Cornish ( purebred), but also Buckeye, Brahma, Australorps. I'd also consider Naked Necks. They have half the feathers ( helps with plucking and heat tolerance) but still do well in cold. They're great layers of large, brown eggs, gentle birds and get huge. I noticed on the Hubbard website that they are used in a number of they're crosses, I think on the maternal side. I used to have some when I lived in OK. Ugly birds but great layers and great dual purpose. Perfect for a state like OK or TX with brutally hot summers and cold winters.

my red broilers from ideal turned out to be pretty good egg layers. Not as good as my Rocks, but enough smallish round nearly white eggs to save them from the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom