What are the best breeds to start with for egg layers?

khowell31875

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 7, 2008
I am wanting to get into raising chickens for the eggs and to give me and my children something to learn together. What are the best breeds to start with and how big should the coop be? I was thinking of starting with maybe 4-5. Also, how much room outside the coop do they need. I think I will need to do the fenced in run. Thanks.

Hi and welcome to BYC!
Here's a link to a great chicken breed chart, listing the pros and cons of most every breed. Which breed you pick for you and your family is really an individual choice.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Your coop should have a minimum of 4 sq. ft. per chicken; it's best if your run has at least double that. It's also a really good idea to cover your run, to protect your chickens from predators; especially the flying kind.
Good luck with your (soon to be) addiction!
big_smile.png

Edited to add the link...duhhhhh!

Last edited:
Quote:
Now seminole! I was trying to be a good girl and not push brahmas on a newbie. Thanks for doing it for me!
wink.png

As a newbie, I chose sex-links (Golden Comets). I wanted to be sure to get pullets, and I wanted excellent layers.

You will certainly need a fenced-in run to protect your chickens from predators. with 4-5 chickens, you can use a fairly small (doghouse-sized) henhouse, with a 6x6 or larger run. I chose a covered run, to protect against predators.

There's excellent resources for learning about raising chickens on this site -- explore and learn!

After lots of reading and some experience, I'd say Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons & Americaunas. I don't have any buff orps YET but they have a great reputation, but I can say that my americaunas and australorp are so very sweet and funny and are good layers. A BA holds a record for egg laying of something like 360 eggs in a year! That's even through the winter... one a day almost for entire year! wow!

Out of my girls, I'd have to say the light brahmas, black australorps, rhode island reds, barred rocks and white leghorns have been the big egg producers for me. Nothing phases the RIRs. Although... my silver laced wyandotte just started laying at 17 weeks... so far I'm impressed!
smile.png

I'm beginning to think my Ameraucana was a fluke... she just didn't lay like y'alls girls do.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom