What are the care and needs of Silver Bahama Pintails?

Quote:
Thanks, Also i live in NS, canada so have colder winters (the coldest week getting down to -30 range), do you think they would be able to stand these low temps?

Yes they will need moderate protection form those types of temps, nothing major, they are pretty tuff, not as sensitive to cold as tree ducks are, but they will need an indoor (barn) style enclosure for the worst of your winters. My Minnesota breeding buddies all have to put their up in the winter along with their other tropical species, all other non tropical species handle any amount of cold just fine

OK, for planing sakes right now, how big would a pen/coop have to be for one pair? In the winter we let the ducks out on the good days would this be fine, normal days are -5 to -10? thanks so much

a 10x 10 pen section and 8x 10 full closed coop would do just fine for a pair or so.
As for the -5-10 NORMAL days (whew) South Georgia her!, I wouldnt trust them in that, you could try it but watch them. What you could do it put a heat lamp in the coop, and just open the coop to the pen for them, that way they could come and go as needed.
Now as for out OUT , like free ranging, you cant do that with these, they be gone, they need to stay penned full time

Quote:
haha, not that cold
tongue.png
ok thanks for the info, if i get these ducks they would be coming in from BC, so i would wan't every thing to be good for them.

Back
Top Bottom