What are the chances my hens eggs are fertile? UPDATE

She is an amazing broody. Her last hatch was also under less than perfect conditions and all 11 hatched and thrived.

I am also suprised so many are fertile though, I'm wondering if the landlord's rooster maybe got to her. She stays away from the landlord's flock usually because they are huge and she's a bantam and they live on the other end of the property. I guess I'll find out when the chicks have grown out a bit.

Just candled the eggs again, it's day 10 now, and all 9 are developing nicely and bouncing around like crazy. I never realised the little chicks were so active inside the eggs. Even when I candled them on day 5 those tiny little embryos were so bouncy. I'll post a final update with pics when they hatch and I can tell if they're all from the roo that died or if another roo managed to get to her.

Just candled the eggs again, it's day 10 now, and all 9 are developing nicely and bouncing around like crazy. I never realised the little chicks were so active inside the eggs. Even when I candled them on day 5 those tiny little embryos were so bouncy. I'll post a final update with pics when they hatch and I can tell if they're all from the roo that died or if another roo managed to get to her.

Yep, they sure do move a lot! I'll be looking forward to the update.
smile.png

So far the chicks are all black, buff or yellow, so it seems the original rooster didn't father any of them. It must have been the landlord's big rooster. All her previous chicks from the bantam rooster were always chipmunk striped.

The hen, with her last clutch

The roo that fathered all her previous clutches

They are both about bantam sized, but aside from the obvious naked neck I have no idea what breed.

The landlord's roo is huge compared to them and looks like a New Hampshire, but he doesn't come around here very often so I don't have pictures.

The hen, with her last clutch The roo that fathered all her previous clutches They are both about bantam sized, but aside from the obvious naked neck I have no idea what breed. The landlord's roo is huge compared to them and looks like a New Hampshire, but he doesn't come around here very often so I don't have pictures.
Ok. He could've fathered some, I don't think an NH rooster would father black chicks.

Ok. He could've fathered some, I don't think an NH rooster would father black chicks.

Thanks. I don't know much about colour genetics, she's just never had black chicks before, so I was just guessing. Of the last 20+ chicks she's had, spread over 3 hatches, they all looked exactly like the ones in the picture, and the only roo I kept long enough to tell feathered in like their dad. I can try to get a pic of the other roo if he comes close enough again.

ETA: I was very surprised to see black chicks, it doesn't seem to make much sense. Maybe she roamed further than I thought and was mated by completely different rooster?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom