What are the chances of a 3 yr old female cat to stop spraying if..

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by redhen, Dec 17, 2009.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I get her fixed? I have an appt in January to get her fixed. but i REALLY fear that its too late now..shes been spraying for a looong time now..and i've just been dealing with it and buying lots of pet cleaner... [​IMG]
    So what are odds that fixing her will cure the spraying?

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    give her a nice swift boot in the rear, especially if in the direction of the door, and the spraying will stop. [​IMG]

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    go look for a product called "FELIWAY" they have it in a room plug in or spray - it calms a cat and I bet that would work, perhaps even before she gets fixed. http://www.feliway.com/us

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  4. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Do you have any other cats?
    I think females are the toughest to get to stop.
    My cat was spraying until about a year old when I got her spayed(she's 12 now). We do have problems with her on occasion under certain circumstances but she's usually ok.
    I think it's pretty much a guarantee that unless you get her spayed she will not stop this.

Once you get her fixed make sure you go through the whole house and use the enzyme odor remover on all the places she's sprayed. You can keep her confined with her litter box in a room until you get it all done and dried.

5. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry but abusing or drugging a cat isn't going to solve the spraying issue. You need to figure out why it's spraying.

First off its a female cat. Female cats aren't as likely to mark territory as males. I've seen females spray when other cats have come in the house for a visit or after the addition of another cat into the house.

Another possibility for spraying is urinary tract infections or kidney problems. When you bring her in to get spayed you can have the vet test for the possibility of underlying health issues.

The last cause, and the most frequent is the cat box not getting changed often enough. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to walk in my own "stuff" to go to the bathroom. Once she finds another location to relieve herself, the scent is left behind and she will use it as a spot that she's used before.

Cutting the scent so SHE can't smell it is the tricky part. My mom showed Burmese when I was a kid and I learned that vinegar neutralized it. Because I hated the house smelling like we just got done making Easter eggs as a kid I've tried countless products on the market. They pretty much cut the odor that we smell, but fail to eliminate it so the cat doesn't.

In my opinion, spaying her will not solve the spraying issue. It will, however, solve other equally negative issues such as screeching at all hours when she's in heat and attracting male cats to the house for cat fights in the front yard in hopes that she'll get out and get to breed with her. Keep the appointment and have the vet help solve the problem.

Good luck!

6. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I have had and still do have TONS of cats
    All spayed - none have sprayed,male or female EVER

I had them fixed when they were all at 6 months of age

7. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Your probably right, but it makes me feel better.

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH never thought of that, lets drug the cat or get it drunk.!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Marlinchaser

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:250 X 8lbs/cat = 2000lbs

250 cats [​IMG] Now thats a lot of cats

10. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Quote:Aw come on Andi nobody was seriously suggesting "Abusing" the cat. Good grief.

I don't know if spaying will help with the spraying at this age but it's sure worth a try. If it continues after the spay she may need to be an outside cat. My female decided not to use the litter box anymore when she was 5 years old. She became an outside cat when it became clear that she wasn't going to go back to using the box. Darn cat is a great outside cat. She loves it. We made her an awesome warm shelter and she's alot more loving than she used to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by