What are the chances of a buff orpington going broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Johnn, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    I got my first two buff orpingtons last week end, i heard they are a broody breed. What are the chances of them going broody?, i know they might not go broody at all but still. :)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chances are that they will go broody. All of the orpingtons tend to become broody.

3. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Mine are 10 months old & one went broody on Wednesday. She only gets off the nest first thing in the morning to eat & drink & poop, then she is back on her nest of 3 eggs. A BR & Light Brahma both tried sitting on her in the same nest box to lay an egg, she never moved (the BO), and I had the hardest time trying to get the Light Brahma out of the nest box, she is so big.

4. cooped up

cooped up Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Portland, Or
    My buff orpingtons went broody when they were around 1yr old, while my other hens havn't gone broody yet.
    Some people take advantage of this to hatch fertile eggs, while others try to break the broodiness out of them.

5. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    They most likely will go broody. All of mine have. I don't do anything to try and break them other than collecting eggs each day like usual. The school of thought that I subscribe to is that broodiness is related to hormones and the hen just needs to work it out on her own.

6. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    well i hope myne do because i want some chicks :)

7. TomCircle

TomCircle New Egg

Aug 30, 2011
    McCune, Ks
    Sorry if I hijack your thread, not my intent at all... Will they continue to want to go broody even if you collect the eggs? I had one that started setting on 3 the other day, but collected the eggs. They are laying now, but haven't seen one just set like she was broody again... I am hoping to get a couple of Buff roos before long to replace the odd balls that I have now, and eventually let the buff girls hatch their own chicks... Didn't know if I was hindering their broodiness likelihood i I kept them from doing it now...

8. Smarcebird

Smarcebird Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Durango, CO
    My BO is broody all the time. Still broody after collecting eggs every day (several times a day). She is tough to break too. I don't have a rooster, don't want more chicks? Anyone have room for her? :)

9. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

My Blue Orpie went broody in her first year, but was easily discouraged. However, she was much more determined in her second year and stayed the course. I'll be interested to see what she does this year.

10. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    Ive had 7 broody hens and never 1 chick, something always goes wrong!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by