What are the chances that my boys will stay nice?

MamaB

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
I have 2 8 week old cockerel (they were supposed to be pullets! Anyway....). Right now they are really pretty good boys. One is an Easter egger, he lets me pat him and likes to come peck at my pants or shoes. The other is a SLW, he just doesn't pay much attention to me, he will come hang out when I go in the run to visit, though. When should I be seeing/expecting a change in attitude? Or could they stay nice boys ?

I've been reading on here that some notice a change in roos during their "teenage" growth. I just started with some roos so I'm still learning. So far the Salmon Faveroles, Black Maran and Silkie (all 3 months old) have been good with each other and me. It may be to soon to tell.

You will know when they transition from Little boy chick to Im a BIG MAN!
lau.gif
When those hormones kick in they can be quite annoying. Some are still nice. Some turn mean. I have never had a rooster be mean, they just dont like to be held and they are more independent. As long as they get to be with their hens they are good.

But if I ever have one threaten me even when Im messing with the hens. Hes gone!
smile.png

Don't baby them right now-handle them, yes, but don't treat them like babies, as some folks do. You really won't know until the hormones start raging. Then, you'll see it start, if it's going to. It often begins with biting, then progresses to rushing or flogging.

If biting starts before mating age, you can often stop that by grabbing him up and holding his beak shut. My sweet lovebug rooster, Isaac, who is over 3 years old, bit me a few times at around 12-14 weeks of age. He didn't like that beak-holding thing at all and it worked. He's the best rooster you could imagine, HOWEVER, it's not in his nature to be human-aggressive anyway. The biting was boundary-testing, considering the age at which it occurred. Isaac was never held or coddled as a chick, just talked to and worked around, pretty much ignored. He was mildly standoffish and we didn't push him to be otherwise. Now, he's my best buddy. He never flogged or became a problem, even when his hormones kicked in.

His brother, on the other hand, was the friendliest cockerel of the big bunch. We even called him "Mr. Friendly" for a time. He became a biter, then a flogger and was given away with full disclosure, along with another who was following in his footsteps.

The blue Orp in my avatar has never so much as nipped me, even when his hormones kicked in. He was hatched here and is now going on 6 years old, just a big blue teddy bear, so good tempered males rarely become a problem even when they mature.

Temperament is heritable. Keep the best, cull the rest, temperament-wise, and you'll breed better tempered males overall, IMO.

Yours could be just fine. I hope so!

Last edited:
Yep, as hard as it is dont baby them. Talk to them a lot, move them out of your space, ignore them some... as they become adults they will be better from it. Some of my friendliest roos were ones i ignored. I talked to them all the time.... just didnt pet them as babies. Now many ride on the golf cart with me.

Don't baby them right now-handle them, yes, but don't treat them like babies, as some folks do. You really won't know until the hormones start raging. Then, you'll see it start, if it's going to. It often begins with biting, then progresses to rushing or flogging.

If biting starts before mating age, you can often stop that by grabbing him up and holding his beak shut. My sweet lovebug rooster, Isaac, who is over 3 years old, bit me a few times at around 12-14 weeks of age. He didn't like that beak-holding thing at all and it worked. He's the best rooster you could imagine, HOWEVER, it's not in his nature to be human-aggressive anyway. The biting was boundary-testing, considering the age at which it occurred. Isaac was never held or coddled as a chick, just talked to and worked around, pretty much ignored. He was mildly standoffish and we didn't push him to be otherwise. Now, he's my best buddy. He never flogged or became a problem, even when his hormones kicked in.

His brother, on the other hand, was the friendliest cockerel of the big bunch. We even called him "Mr. Friendly" for a time. He became a biter, then a flogger and was given away with full disclosure, along with another who was following in his footsteps.

The blue Orp in my avatar has never so much as nipped me, even when his hormones kicked in. He was hatched here and is now going on 6 years old, just a big blue teddy bear, so good tempered males rarely become a problem even when they mature.

Temperament is heritable. Keep the best, cull the rest, temperament-wise, and you'll breed better tempered males overall, IMO.

Yours could be just fine. I hope so!

I completely agree. Your Orp in your avatar is gorgeous!! I love orpingtons and have been trying to get some blues. So beautiful....

Thank you so much for the advice! It's not in my nature to baby things that aren't babies anymore so I should be good with that! I don't eat meat so them ending up in my freezer is not an option so I am hoping for the best! At 9 weeks old they are still pretty good, have seen a little rushing the girls and one time my Sonny was biting at one of the girls tails, but it broke up quickly and I haven't seen anything else really! Thanks again for the wisdom!

Back
Top Bottom