What are the chances?

Chicalina

Crowing
Aug 1, 2020
UK
So I've got 2 broodies sitting on 15 eggs (half each ish), 12 of which were bought online and shipped. On candling I'm only seeing 3 (2 shipped ones) with veins and movement on day 4. It looks like the others are infertile, unviable or maybe my candling isn't very good. Anyway I won't bin any until day 8.

2 live eggs out of 12 shipped eggs is really bad odds! I mean, I expected a low hatch rate but not this bad!

Recently in another clutch, I got 3 live chicks out of 10 shipped eggs. Bad, but slightly better.

The developing eggs all happen to be under the same hen. Anyway, today things really hit the pan when that hen didn't go back to her nest after I took her off for a break. I usually wait with her or set a 15 minute timer and then guide her back. I got distracted with work and she was off for maybe an hour or hour and a half. It was about 22°C ambient temp. The eggs felt cold to the touch.

I'm kicking myself for not setting the timer. She has sat fast since but I'm thinking I've killed those live eggs now. :he

Anyone else have experience of day 5 eggs getting cold and still hatching? Please give me hope.

I'm not going to candle until day 8 because I've done it too much already. It's killing me!

Many including myself have hens where they can get off and on when they want. It is not unusual for hens to stay off for an hour or so. Yes sometimes you can't feel the warmth, but the eggs should be fine.

Generally speaking, I trust the broody to know how long she can be off the eggs. It can be difficult to watch them take a long break, but they usually know what they're doing.

Best wishes for your hatch! :jumpy
I agree, only this time she couldn't find her way back to the nest easily as it's up high so I usually take her off and put her back.

Thank you for the well wishes. I am hoping for the best!

Back
Top Bottom