What Are The Cons Of Having Not Enough Space?

Ducks don't usually pick on each other like chickens, but if crowded they will pile on top of each other. This can cause balding, lameness, skin abrasions, etc.

As mentioned above, they will get mess VERY quickly if they are crowded. So need to be cleaned out far more often to avoid ammonia build up and to prevent feces burns on their feet. It also risk them staying wet and dirty.

Overcrowding can also stress them out. So if keeping for laying, you will see a decrease in production. Ducks like to be somewhat secretive and alone when laying eggs. They don't want to be bothered. So if they feel like they can't get somewhere quiet, they will stop laying or lay less often.

And you also have to watch their weights. When there are too many in one area, it can prevent them all from getting to the feed area for proper filling up. So you may end up with some thin ones (that get pushed or bullied away from the food dishes).

I know with chickens the peck each other I was wondering if ducks do something similar?
While I am building my outside coop, my ducks are technically overcrowded in their brooder.

They are only in it during the night and get some free range time before going into a 70 foot circumference pen.

Not ideal, but it is working out alright.

Back
Top Bottom