What are the funny things they do...?

mhwc56

Songster
9 Years
Aug 5, 2010
my house in maryland
Yesterday i decided to add a couple leaves of real nice seedy hay into the big pen i have for my Coturnix. Today when i went out to tend them i heard them making these odd little sounds . When i looked into the cage i see a bunch of them over on the side that has the hay all fluffed up into a "mountain" ..they would run up to the top of the hay pile, make a silly noise then sort of slide -wiggle on their chests down the mountain, making more silly sounds as they went.
lau.gif
pop.gif
it was soooooooo cute . The whole thing brought to mind children sliding down a hill in the snow on those "flaying saucer" things in the winter...
clap.gif

Has anyone else observed such silliness from their quail?

Quote:
WATCHING them do this was FUNNY! i almost didn't get anything else done, i could've stayed there for hourrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs...hehehe...dopey birds!
big_smile.png

I believe it! If I give mine hay or dried grass they fluff themselves all down into it, climb under it, and downright PLAY in it. It's quite fun to watch.

My 3 week old babies got some fresh grass and clover to eat / play with for the first time today. A couple of them have figured out that it is quite tasty. A couple of them tasted it, looked at me, then went straight over to their regular feed dish and started eating. It was almost like they were trying to get the taste out of their mouths...

When they were hatched and took their first drink of water they started wiping their beaks on the floor the way a chicken will if they get something that tastes nasty.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
One of my girls saw a stinkbug that had gotten into the cage. Of course she just HAD to give it a try...Oh My !
ep.gif
if Quaill could spit she would have been ...that was NOT a happy bird.! She kept wiping her beak and just generally acting as if she was TOTALLY GROSSED OUT ..
gig.gif
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom