What are the laws for selling eggs in Georgia?

m_shuman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
Springfield, GA
I live in Effingham County a rural area outside of Savannah and I have been invited to sell my jellies and jams at a local farmers market. I was wondering where I can find information on selling eggs. I thought it might be a good idea to sell my eggs from my backyard flock at the farmers market as well. When searching I could not find any info concerning Georgia laws on selling eggs. I just don't want to go through the trouble of packaging them, labeling them and taking them to the market only to find out I can't sell them or worse yet have them taken away. Any help or direction woulf be greatly appreciated.

It is my understanding that in GA you must pay a small fee and take a basic exam before you can sell eggs. It is also my understanding that the state hasn't offered the exam for some years due to lack of funds. This is something I read here a while back, probably a couple of years ago. I have no idea whether it is true, or who you would contact to find out. Not much help, I know, but it would explain why I never see "eggs for sale" signs in my area even though there are chickens all around.

Maybe the county extension office?

Contact your local cooperative extension office. They are the ones who give the class here in Newton County. Quite a few people up here sell eggs at farmer's markets and through CSA's. They are supposed to have taken the candling class.

Back
Top Bottom