What are the most fun and friendly breed of bantams to keep as pets?

The worst bantams I have had were d'uccles. The rooster was beautiful, but super aggressive. I still have the scars.
hmm.png

I love my silkies and the one OEGB hen that I have. The silkies love to be held and loved on. The OEGB isn't much for lap sitting, but is full of personality and great fun. I hear cochins are super friendly as well.

I think with any of the breeds it is important to get them from a reputable breeder who works on personality as well as conformation. I know there are several breeders on here with super sweet d'uccles, so my experience was just the birds that I got (hatchery birds). While certain breeds tend towards friendliness, it really does come down to genetics and specific chickens.

Good luck!

Our silkies were tame, but if you get GOOD quality, they wont be able to see very well due to the large crest, they dont have real good fertility due to the large puffs, and ours werent smart enough to get out of the rain, and their feathering soaked up water like a sponge...just things to keep in mind on a breed like silkies...the foot feathering always ends up nasty...moderns and old english are very alert and hardy, dont need a lot of pampering...

faverolles!!! i have only had one go broody on me since i've had them but i think she may have had cochin in her somewhere since she had excessive foot feathering!

they make all sorts of different sounds and are very curious and will readily come trotting over just to see what you have for them! one of my girls will fly up to see me. others come over and pick at my pant legs to get my attention! my roos are great too! i can pick them up and they don't fuss or will readily step up on my hand when i ask them to! my girls also giggle! one boy will even laugh when i do something dumb and he sees it!!

oh! and by about 2-3 weeks old you can color sex them! the girl (salmon wings) is the top and the boy (black on wings) is the bottom of the pic!
25630_2cockerel7-13-10.jpg

Silkies, Cochins, OEGB, Seramas, Bantam Ameraucanas, Bantam Buff Orpingtons.

My Seramas are one of the sweetest breeds I have, my Serama boy is a little agressive, but is a complete doll once you pick him up!
love.gif
I have an OEGB X Rose Comb bantam chick and she is the tinest, sweetest little thing ever. Love her personality!
thumbsup.gif
My Ameraucana Bantams are full of energy and are sweet and curious little birds. Silkies...well they're just big balls of adorable fluffiness!
love.gif

Cochins are Very Sweet birds. They're great w/ kids and love attention. My LF Buff Orpingtons are quite, docile, fluffy birds and I assume the bantam variety to be the same ( have a 11 Buff and Blue Orpington Bantams in the 'bator ).

~ Aspen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom