What are the most fun and friendly breed of chickens as pets?

susanah

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2009
Are there some that like to be held a lot? We don't care about egg laying ability.
Thanks
Susan

Well if you want eye candy, you have to have some Bearded Buff Laced Polish.
I also have some blue wheaten Ameraucanas that like to jump up into my lap and have their beards tickled.

Hi, I am finding that the Serama breed is unbelievably super friendly. I have heard that Silkies are also very friendly. I think the key is to get either incubator hatched or hatch your own eggs, so that the fuzzy-butts bond to humans and not momma hen. Hope that is helpful to ya. I have 3 birdies that are just pets.
wee.gif

I have to say Polish too.

I've always got at least a few. Right now all roo
sad.png
, but I plan to change that as soon as I can.

Buckeyes are pretty good in this regard. I have a match of (momma hatched!) Buckeyes from this spring who grew up accustomed to me bringing them food and coming to sit in their pen. As chicks, especially once they had gotten large enough that their moms didn't want to give them piggy back rides... they would all run over to me when I sat down and climb me like a jungle gym. Now that they are grown up, the three friendliest are still prone to "climb" on me at unexpected moments. I will be stooping to check a waterer and will feel a soft "bomp" as something with large leathery feet lands on my back... and then settles down to snuggle there. Sometimes they will crawl up to my shoulders and try to groom my hair.

I would not know the "friendliest” breed, but I would have to say the Bantam Cochins I have raised are by far the friendliest. They hop up in my lap, are quite curious, very soft and don't mind being pet, and enjoy being bathed in warm water.

Delawares- I have several that are lap chickens, and one that likes to ride on my shoulder. They are super friendly as chicks, too. They run toward you rather than away from you.

Back
Top Bottom