1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are the most fun and friendly breed of chickens as pets?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by susanah, Nov 21, 2010.

1. susanah

susanah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Are there some that like to be held a lot? We don't care about egg laying ability.
    Thanks
    Susan

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Well if you want eye candy, you have to have some Bearded Buff Laced Polish.
    I also have some blue wheaten Ameraucanas that like to jump up into my lap and have their beards tickled.

3. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Hi, I am finding that the Serama breed is unbelievably super friendly. I have heard that Silkies are also very friendly. I think the key is to get either incubator hatched or hatch your own eggs, so that the fuzzy-butts bond to humans and not momma hen. Hope that is helpful to ya. I have 3 birdies that are just pets. [​IMG]

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I have to say Polish too.

I've always got at least a few. Right now all roo [​IMG] , but I plan to change that as soon as I can.

5. exop

exop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Buckeyes are pretty good in this regard. I have a match of (momma hatched!) Buckeyes from this spring who grew up accustomed to me bringing them food and coming to sit in their pen. As chicks, especially once they had gotten large enough that their moms didn't want to give them piggy back rides... they would all run over to me when I sat down and climb me like a jungle gym. Now that they are grown up, the three friendliest are still prone to "climb" on me at unexpected moments. I will be stooping to check a waterer and will feel a soft "bomp" as something with large leathery feet lands on my back... and then settles down to snuggle there. Sometimes they will crawl up to my shoulders and try to groom my hair.

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Cochins, cochins, cochins, and dare I say it- silkies. If you want friendly, easy going fluff balls- they're the way to go.

7. Conventio Liberi

Conventio Liberi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2010
    Indy!
    I would not know the "friendliest” breed, but I would have to say the Bantam Cochins I have raised are by far the friendliest. They hop up in my lap, are quite curious, very soft and don't mind being pet, and enjoy being bathed in warm water.

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Silkies are wonderful. Nice friendly, non-aggressive birds.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My lap chickens are Delawares and true Ameraucanas. The EEs are more skittish, but the Ameraucanas beg to be held.

10. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Delawares- I have several that are lap chickens, and one that likes to ride on my shoulder. They are super friendly as chicks, too. They run toward you rather than away from you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by