What are the MUST KNOW basics of raising chickens (from chick to adult)?

On that subject, the Brahma should be right out for them. The bird eventually gets large, yes, but it takes forever. They are typically slow to lay, lay maybe 3 days in 5, and lay a medium egg when they do so - that's a long time to wait for not much reward. Also, feathered feet, which are greast in extreme cold, but a frostbite vector in wet cold.

I have to agree in re: the laying frequency. My avatar is the worst layer in my flock -- averaging 3-4 eggs per week.

The Sandhills are, however, great for feather-footed breeds -- at least as far as keeping the foot feathers in good condition goes. No matter how wet it gets I don't get mud.

IMO, acknowledging that "data" is not the plural of "anecdote", Brahmas' thick feathers protect them from the heat as well as the cold -- up to a point. My Brahmas have not been as active in the heat as my Australorps or my California White, but they have done better than the Wyandotte in terms of apparent comfort in severe weather.

Still, if rapid maturity and productive laying are the goal they're not a good choice.

I have to agree in re: the laying frequency. My avatar is the worst layer in my flock -- averaging 3-4 eggs per week.

The Sandhills are, however, great for feather-footed breeds -- at least as far as keeping the foot feathers in good condition goes. No matter how wet it gets I don't get mud.

IMO, acknowledging that "data" is not the plural of "anecdote", Brahmas' thick feathers protect them from the heat as well as the cold -- up to a point. My Brahmas have not been as active in the heat as my Australorps or my California White, but they have done better than the Wyandotte in terms of apparent comfort in severe weather.

Still, if rapid maturity and productive laying are the goal they're not a good choice.
and my Brahma/Wyan have been the reverse (also, high clays in my soil, so sticky mud foot feathers is a thing. Fortunately we don't get cold.

Goign to agree, "anecdote" is not "data" - your experiences,a nd your friend's experiences will vary - even within breeds.

Back
Top Bottom