what are the odds my rumpless easter egger is a pure breed

If you can post a photo, I can tell you whether it is an araucana or not--they look quite different than the "typical" (if there is such a thing) Easter Egger or ameraucana.

Any trait can be the result of a spontaneous mutation; somehow the information inherited from the parent gets "garbled" and an allele present in neither parent occurs. This is how/why you occasionally see silkied feathering in birds that have no actual silkie ancestors, how lav and choc came into being, and other mutations. Rumplessness can be genetic or accidental, according to Hutt. And sometimes tail feathers grow in very slowly.

Quote:
I think they are wondering if what they bought as an EE is actually a purebred... since EEs are usually Ameraucana mixes, and Ameraucanas are spinoffs of Araucanas(IIRC), so the rumplessness could be a throwback, right?

While ameraucanas were recognised at a later date, they were not developed FROM araucanas, but from the same imported south american breed crosses. Just different breeders had different ideas about what the "araucana" should look like. When araucanas were recognised as rumpless and tufted WITHOUT beards and muffs, those breeders who disagreed with that standard chose to continue working toward the standard THEY wanted: beards & muffs and tails.

In other countries the standard for araucanas differ from ours, and can include tails, tufts & beard/muffs and even a crest.

But it is still very possible for an EE to carry the rumpless gene from an Araucana, right?... and for it pop up in later generations?

v.cyr :

But it is still very possible for an EE to carry the rumpless gene from an Araucana, right?... and for it pop up in later generations?

Well considering most of today's EE's are cross bred chickens then I would say yes it is possible.
Keep in mind that there are other breeds that carry the "Rumpless" gene and very few of them if any at all are related to the araucana.
wink.png

Chris​

I have a rumpless Marans. This is poor Guinea Girl who has no butt and no actual tail either. I got her from a batch of eggs I bought from a breeder about a year and a half ago (old pic). The breeder says she hadn't seen any rumplessness in hers but someone else I know got one from the same place as well. Anyhow, she lays a nice dark egg now but I am NOT breeding her with my Marans. She is in the eating egg pen. We like her, she is a sweetie.
45258_guinea_aka_boom_boom.jpg

Last edited:
v.cyr :

Quote:
While ameraucanas were recognised at a later date, they were not developed FROM araucanas, but from the same imported south american breed crosses. Just different breeders had different ideas about what the "araucana" should look like. When araucanas were recognised as rumpless and tufted WITHOUT beards and muffs, those breeders who disagreed with that standard chose to continue working toward the standard THEY wanted: beards & muffs and tails.

In other countries the standard for araucanas differ from ours, and can include tails, tufts & beard/muffs and even a crest.

But it is still very possible for an EE to carry the rumpless gene from an Araucana, right?... and for it pop up in later generations?​

Not really--regular rumplessness is an incompletely dominant gene: if it is present, it will show. There is a recessive rumplessness, but it causes a condition called roachback which is a DQ, and has never been purposely bred into any breed. So while that is possible, it is unlikely.

Quote:
Well considering most of today's EE's are cross bred chickens then I would say yes it is possible.
Keep in mind that there are other breeds that carry the "Rumpless" gene and very few of them if any at all are related to the araucana.
wink.png

Chris

I want to clarify my post.
wink.png

I meant that it is possible for a EE to be "Rumpless" just like other breeds are "Rumpless".

Chris

i will try to get a pic tomorrow. Thanks for the input. I know the odds of it being just an odd ball is high, i got my 1st scissor beak from this batch so another odd ball is likely I guess. I hope my scissor beak does ok. Its a bit smaller then the rest but I lost 3 of this batch at about 8 weeks old do do the wettest spring in history and it made it through. I also find it funny that this bird seems built like pictures or Cornish Chickens I have seen more upright then any other I have had, mind you it might be due to the lack of a rump.

Back
Top Bottom