What are the options here?

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
i would like to cover this run with clear panels. I was thinking of making a wood structure on the inside of the run to support it with 2x4s. Are 2x4s strong enough to support a roof of this run. The run is about 25x25 or so

Pitched? Sloped? How many inches does it need to be? If I go from the inside of run I can make more of a pitch I think, with highest point being the side with the gate. The run is about 5.5 tall now but the net gives I more height.

I have no clue what I doing, any ideas will help.

Aerial view
image.jpg

Well money is one thing lacking right now..lol

Now partial is sounding better. I've been so sick since we lost power for a few days. Then the branch fell on the run. I probably need to get all the tree branches cut first.

I wanted to build a coop and attach it to the run. I may have to go back to the drawing board.

At least I can reuse the hardware cloth, so wood would be the main expense and I can possibly get lots of that for free.

2x4s will work. 12 inches of fall in ten feet of roof is a good average. Be sure you have plenty of ventilation if your going with clear panels. They let the heat in but not out, it gets very hot under there on hot sunny days. Some shade cloth on part/all of it would be a good idea.

I say start from scratch and build a new run around the existing run. You can pull the old one down when you are done. A roof that size will need a lot of support that would make excellent walls for a new run.

So I would use 2x4s wherever I have a pole now, correct? Just build it the same way with wood?

Will I need any pole support in the middle of the run? This wouldn't be to bad because I can add "roost bars from post to post.

To bad I can't use the tree branches for some kind of support. I got big heavy ones. I'm pulling several to make the roosts in the run. I started cutting them and then I stopped because I could envision using them.

This is going to be a huge project

You need a stronger structure to support any possible snow load where you live. Plan for the worst snow and drifting possible! Any builder or carpenter should have advice, and there are plans available for your area. Overbuild if possible!
If you get the framing done right, then add roofing as you can afford it. Check out the Habitat Restore, used lumber, whatever.
When a 12" diameter 35' spruce fell on my coop last year, there were some holes punched in the roofing, but the framing was undamaged. It payed off to build as if I was going to live in it!
Mary

You have to consider, if there was a way to make a safe sturdy structure that size very cheap we would all be doing it. I'ts hard to get something that substantial that will support weight and be predator proof going the super cheap route. Really the posts, wood, concrete for the run would be the cheapest part. That stuff is not that expensive. Its your hardware cloth roof panels etc that are going to cost the most.

Back
Top Bottom