What are the rules about shooting predators in your neighbors yard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
I live out in the woods, we have lots of predators. I have very few neighbors but just 10 minutes ago I saw 2 raccoons run by, it's still light out and will be light for another 2-3 hours. I'm a bit nervous now. They were in the middle of my neighbors yard it would have been pretty obvious when they found 2 dead coons laying in their lawn.. anyone ever had to deal with anything like this? The fact they aren't even waiting until night to start sneaking around has me on edge. I'm a bit conflicted.. so many people think they're cute and I sure don't want the cops to come visit. Whats proper critter-killing etiquette?

You can't kill them all. It would be safer for the chickens to make sure their area is as predator proof as possible. I am thinking you may could kill them on your own property but I would not think it a good plan to kill them on someone else's land. I would have a fit if my neighbors started shooting and killing things on my land.
sharon

I would think it would be a good idea not to shoot anything in your neighbor's yard.

With that being said, my neighbor wouldn't mind, but then again we get along pretty good to.
idunno.gif

Well MFB, I didn't mention my neighbors are usually stoned....doesn't make for accuracy (neither in aim nor target identification...)!
sharon

That depends....is the predatory wearing a collar?
big_smile.png

Get a Havahart trap and dispose of them properly....I certainly wouldn't have left them in the neighbor's yard. They could be the type that feeds wild critters and think of them as pets.

Thanks all. I have a final tomorrow morning, I have a feeling I'll be studying in the garage near my chicken coop with a shotgun tonight. I stayed up most the night last night but I don't think they had discovered my birds yet. Nerve wracking. Stupid raccoons.

Quote:
Yeah, I used to have some neighbors like that. I even had one who used to get stoned and shoot at aliens. Thank goodness where I live now I have only one close neighbor and he is a great guy.

Aliens! That's funny. They are actually quite pleasant. They never fight or cause any ruckus. Mellow people....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom