What are the signs indicating that the cockerel is about to mature?

There is no way to stop him doing or other than to separate him from them. Not sure if you are able to set it up where they can see and interact each other but not touch. Or he would be better in with older hens to tech him manners until his girls are ready.

@Mrs. K @Folly's place Do you agree? Most of what I have posted is based on what I have seen you post.

How do I get him to stop doing this?
He just recently started crowing in the coop in the mornings before I let all the chickens out. My 2 year old rooster crows, and then my Bantam Frizzle Cochin cockerel echos his crow while in the coop. Once I let them all out for the day to free range my little cockerel doesn't crow anymore until the next morning in the coop. I've never heard him crow outside of the coop yet. He spends his day following his flock, and he just started tidbitting - although his ladies are basically ignoring him. Is he going to fulfill the same role as my 2 year old Dark Brahma Rooster of my original flock? 🤔 View attachment 3271186View attachment 3271197
My Bantam Frizzle Cochin cockerel has a larger flock than my Dark Brahma Rooster. The DB roo has 5 hens and the BFC has 19 hens. Will the DB mate with the hens from the other flock and vice versa? When will both flocks become completely integrated? They've been together for 2 months, but still remain separate when free ranging and in the coop on roosting bars. The older birds will not allow the younger birds to intermingle with them during roosting, eating, and free ranging. Will this ever change?

There is no way to stop him doing or other than to separate him from them. Not sure if you are able to set it up where they can see and interact each other but not touch. Or he would be better in with older hens to tech him manners until his girls are ready.

@Mrs. K @Folly's place Do you agree? Most of what I have posted is based on what I have seen you post.
The only thing I can do is put him in a run that's separate from the girls, but he'll be able to see everyone. So I can do that and keep him in there so he can learn some manners. Once the girls begin to lay and he's been in etiquette school for awhile it should help with this behavior? I'll try it! They all just turned 12 weeks old - so they won't lay for another 6 to 8 weeks. Boy, he'll have a PhD in manners by then. 🤣 😇

Will he be in with older hens in that run? If so then yes he should be better behaved by then. If not you will know he isn’t going to be a good rooster for you.
I could put an older girl in there with him, couldn't I?
She'd teach him how this all works, and the manners he needs? All my older girls are Standard hens will that be an issue since he's a Bantam cockerel? Should I rotate the girls (5 hens) and let them all have a chance to teach him or just use the same one?

The older birds will not allow the younger birds to intermingle with them during roosting, eating, and free ranging. Will this ever change?

Once the younger girls are laying they'll make their way into the flock's social order.

I could put an older girl in there with him, couldn't I?

Just one hen penned up with him in a confined area wouldn't be a good situation with a hormonal young cockerel. Either he'll harass her to distraction or she'll beat the tar out of him.

I'm getting a little confused about the situation you have.

It sounded like your birds all range together in the daytime -- free to intermingle? But then put themselves to roost in separate coops?

So the young fellow does have access to the mature hens when ranging? And the older rooster and young cockerel can interact?

What's the older gentleman doing when the youngster makes the girls squawk and complain?

All stories here sound normal, it's about who they are as individuals, and how mature everyone actually is.
Usually the senior rooster will discipline a junior who's being stupid, but i think your 12 week olds haven't been there long enough for your senior rooster to actually care, and he also knows that nobody is actually being injured. Offended, yes, but not hurt.
Separating roosters, especially if they are out of sight for any extended time, is not going to help them get along when they are brought back together. In view, may be okay.
Is there plenty of space? Out of sight areas? multiple feeders and waterers, in separate locations? All that matters a lot in having peace out there.
Actually if no injuries are happening, and space, etc, is all good, just grit your teeth and watch as everyone grows up.
Do you need this frizzle cockerel? Would everyone be happier if he left? Another choice, especially if you have plans to raise chicks not including his input (output?).
Mary

I agree with Folly's Place. You don't have any problems yet... do be set up to step in if you get a problem. A fish net is handy and a dog crate can be used to separate fighting birds.

Do have multiple feeders and have them set up so that if a bird is eating at one bowl, they cannot see some one eating at another bowl.

Some roosters can get along with other roosters, some cannot. Size, color, age and space all have something to do with it, and a great deal of luck...but there are no guarantees. What works today, and how they are behaving today has little influence on next week.

Mrs K

Once the younger girls are laying they'll make their way into the flock's social order.

Just one hen penned up with him in a confined area wouldn't be a good situation with a hormonal young cockerel. Either he'll harass her to distraction or she'll beat the tar out of him.

I'm getting a little confused about the situation you have.

It sounded like your birds all range together in the daytime -- free to intermingle? But then put themselves to roost in separate coops?

So the young fellow does have access to the mature hens when ranging? And the older rooster and young cockerel can interact?

What's the older gentleman doing when the youngster makes the girls squawk and complain?
They all free range together and are in the same coop at night. My older (just 2 years old) rooster just stays with the older hens and hasn't really intervened into the pullet cockerel drama.
The bantam cockerel has only harrassed the standard pullets and some bantam pullets. He hasn't gone near the older hens which would probably bring a reaction from the big roo.
I was hoping my big roo would help educate my little roo, but that hasn't happened yet.
How will my little roo learn how to be a gentleman? Will he be able to mate with the standard pullets when they're ready?

All stories here sound normal, it's about who they are as individuals, and how mature everyone actually is.
Usually the senior rooster will discipline a junior who's being stupid, but i think your 12 week olds haven't been there long enough for your senior rooster to actually care, and he also knows that nobody is actually being injured. Offended, yes, but not hurt.
Separating roosters, especially if they are out of sight for any extended time, is not going to help them get along when they are brought back together. In view, may be okay.
Is there plenty of space? Out of sight areas? multiple feeders and waterers, in separate locations? All that matters a lot in having peace out there.
Actually if no injuries are happening, and space, etc, is all good, just grit your teeth and watch as everyone grows up.
Do you need this frizzle cockerel? Would everyone be happier if he left? Another choice, especially if you have plans to raise chicks not including his input (output?).
Mary
We have plenty of space, waterers, and feeders. You're absolutely right my big roo doesn't care about the younger ones really and the two roos don't really interact. Your right, I'm just going to grit my teeth and let the maturing process happen. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom