What are the signs of an old rooster vs sick rooster?

checkingon

Crowing
15 Years
May 25, 2008
I have been noticing a change in my rooster for several days and am quite concerned. One of the first things I've noticed was my rooster not sleeping in the coop but outside in the enclosed pen. He is about 11 years of age. He looks bad having gone through his molting. The wooden post you see is what he roosts on at night but tonight he's on the stool on the bottom. During the day he eats and drinks. He does a lot of resting by closing his eyes for a few seconds here and there and seems to nod off. At times, his leg or legs appear weak. The spur on his right leg as you can see in the picture is really long and the other side is short (must have broken off). He doesn't crow anymore. There are 4 other hens that live with him. Till this day, I don't know what kind of breed he is as many of the roosters here on this island are used for game. Is he a Miner Blue Sky? I've named him Kingy because to me, he's my King. Though once feral as they all are, I've always adored Kingy for his strength and courage.
Kingy.jpg

Oh, he is a beauty, but 11, he is an old man, perhaps he is ready to take it easy for a time. As long as his hens continue to respect him and don't pick on him I would let him continue to enjoy his golden years. Do you need him for predator protection? And if so, is he still capable of doing his job?

Oh, he is a beauty, but 11, he is an old man, perhaps he is ready to take it easy for a time. As long as his hens continue to respect him and don't pick on him I would let him continue to enjoy his golden years. Do you need him for predator protection? And if so, is he still capable of doing his job?
Aw - thank you so much. I don't allow my chickens to free-range. They used to before but after having numerous kids coming around trying to catch Kingy or dogs attacking him, I decided it was best for all of us to keep them safe from harm. Is it natural for him to just lay there on the stool at night? Does it take a lot of energy to fly up on the pole which is about 2 feet high? I guess he's just slowing down. I want to give him the best of care I can give him. I never thought I'd have chickens in my backyard but I was attracted to him and the years went by so fast.

He is just slowing down the poor old guy...Maybe it's getting too hard to perch for him and easier on the stool so he can lay flat without keeping his balance...As long as he is still eating and drinking fine, he should be okay...
Best wishes!
Thank you, I'll put together a more comfortable flat bed in that corner he loves and just high enough for him to step up. Is 7-8 inches too high?

Back
Top Bottom