What are these? 3.5 weeks old.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by featherz, May 1, 2011.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Have mutt and pure and hatchery chicks, all mixed together and trying to figure out which breeds I have. 3.5 weeks old. Some are obvious, like the light brahma and the turkens. [​IMG] What is this? Dark Brahma?

[​IMG]

Speckled sussex? Does the white breast signify anything in the way of gender? All the others that are more obviously SS do not have this.

[​IMG]

How about this little roo? Brahma of some sort? (I have light and dark, both breeder and hatchery).. Or easter egger/mutt?

[​IMG]

2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    The first looks like a dark brahma hen

The second might be a Speckled Sussex, although none on mine have that much white!

The third is a mix, or really bad quality. Brahmas are supposed to have pea combs [​IMG]

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Quote:Well, it's possible on the third - I have a few hatchery chicks in here from another byc'er, some of which are dark brahma (like chick #1). However, they are supposed to be sexed pullets and that one's definitely a boyo. Of course, sexing doesn't mean much - the hatchery also sent a cochin I think is a roo (seen in pic # 1 to the right of the brahma), a favorelle that's a roo as well as a boy langshan. /sigh. No more hatchery chicks for me! [​IMG] Chick #3 could also be a mutt - had mutt eggs in the bator as well with my cochin roo over various others, including a SLW - maybe this is the result.

4. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Quote:Well, it's possible on the third - I have a few hatchery chicks in here from another byc'er, some of which are dark brahma (like chick #1). However, they are supposed to be sexed pullets and that one's definitely a boyo. Of course, sexing doesn't mean much - the hatchery also sent a cochin I think is a roo (seen in pic # 1 to the right of the brahma), a favorelle that's a roo as well as a boy langshan. /sigh. No more hatchery chicks for me! [​IMG] Chick #3 could also be a mutt - had mutt eggs in the bator as well with my cochin roo over various others, including a SLW - maybe this is the result.

Cochin/wyandotte would be showing a dominant rose comb.... It kinda looks like it could be a cochin cross tho...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by