What are these? and are they Hens or Roosters

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HenPen42, Sep 10, 2012.

1. HenPen42

HenPen42 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2012
    Mississippi
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bought these chickens in March at the Tractor Supply Store, was told they were Brahmus pullets. They are about 26 weeks old now...They are Huge and eating me out of house and home...Not crowing, but not laying eggs either...What the heck are these?

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Brahma's are slow to start laying. If they were cockerels I would think at least one would have been crowing by now. More than likely pullets at POL

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I see brahma cockerels. They're generally pretty submissive birds and I'll bet none feel ready to challenge that big red guy by crowing.

4. Panth

Panth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    I see a lot of cockerals...brahmas are incredibly hard to sex, but yours are old enough that you can see the sickle feathers flowing down on either side right before their tails start. Its easiest to see in your second picture because that guys sickle feathers have black edging, but I bet if you look at all the others you will see the same feathers in pure white. I agree, I LOVE brahma roosters - the most laid back, mellow cuddle bugs EVER! However, that does seem to be quite a few roosters for you.

5. HenPen42

HenPen42 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2012
    Mississippi
    what are the sickle feathers? They are very calm birds, I just thought they looked like roosters, even though I bought them as Pullets...

6. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Cockerels

7. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Didn't see that question, lol. The sickle feathers are the thinner feathers towards the tail

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by