What are these? and are they Hens or Roosters

HenPen42

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 3, 2012
Mississippi

I bought these chickens in March at the Tractor Supply Store, was told they were Brahmus pullets. They are about 26 weeks old now...They are Huge and eating me out of house and home...Not crowing, but not laying eggs either...What the heck are these?

I see brahma cockerels. They're generally pretty submissive birds and I'll bet none feel ready to challenge that big red guy by crowing.

I see a lot of cockerals...brahmas are incredibly hard to sex, but yours are old enough that you can see the sickle feathers flowing down on either side right before their tails start. Its easiest to see in your second picture because that guys sickle feathers have black edging, but I bet if you look at all the others you will see the same feathers in pure white. I agree, I LOVE brahma roosters - the most laid back, mellow cuddle bugs EVER! However, that does seem to be quite a few roosters for you.

what are the sickle feathers? They are very calm birds, I just thought they looked like roosters, even though I bought them as Pullets...

Didn't see that question, lol. The sickle feathers are the thinner feathers towards the tail

images

Back
Top Bottom