What are these black bugs flying around my chickens?

rdl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 24, 2009
My white rock chickens are "infested" with these flying black bugs that are flying around the necks of the chickens. The chickens are constantly eating these bugs that are flying around and landing on the chickens. I thought perhaps these were lice, but from reading in this forum, I found that lice do not have wings, which these bugs certainly do have.

I thought these bugs were gnats at first, but they are larger than gnats. Please let me know what kind of infestation this is and what I can/should do about it.

Same thing here. It is bugging the crud out of my birds because these stupid things are everywhere! Not sure what part of the country you are in, but this started here in Texas about a week and a half ago.

I think they are called Buffalo flies?
hu.gif

I use a black light bug zapper and I've not ever had a problem with them. That's all I know about them.

I'm in South Mississippi, so I'm not too far from East Texas. Are there any organic solutions to these pigeon flies or whatever they are?

Boy, I wish I knew! If you come up with anything let me know because now they get in my face as well as my birds and I DON'T LIKE IT!

Hey think I have the same problem. I too am in South MS and these things started about a week and half ago. They are larger than gnats but a small type of fly.
It is causing real trouble for my birds just there are SOOOOO many of the bugs. The birds are bleeding on the head from all the scratching and pecking from birds trying to eat the bugs on other birds. I am afraid that my birds will peck each other to death, casue some of them are looking very weary. Please someone tell me how to stop them or help my birds? I let them out of the coop only to have the bugs follow them around. I never have seen this happen until a year or so after Katrina went through. Bugs settle down during the night and cool mornings. Would Sevin dust work or can I not sprinkle it around inside the pen??

Where in South Mississippi are you? I'm in Stone County and have got to get some relief for my birds. I have even considered mosiquito spray while the birds are on the roost. LOL

Back
Top Bottom