What are these black bugs flying around my chickens?

I live in Jackson County, so I'm not too far from you. Today, I sprayed a pesticide on the backs of my chickens with a pump up sprayer. This seems to have worked. I don't like using chemicals, but I had to do something. I forget the name of the pesticide, but it is something that you can buy at any farm or seed shop.

I hope this helps. I'll let you if this solves my problem.

Well I lost one hen today from all the pecking. Please if you can send me the name of the pesticide. I take it that is must be something you mix with water??? So do you spray the ground or the nest boxes too or just the backs of the birds?? I have googled both buffalo (black) flies and pidgeon flies. The description of pidgeon flies seems to match my problem more closely and if this is true, these flies are parasites and live in the SE part of the US in areas with mild winters. (Heck this winter hasn't been so mild around here so wonder why they are so bad.) Thanks in advance for the help. I maybe driving to Jackson CO to buy your stuff.

The pesticide I used was permethrin. It appeared to work, but I haven't been able to see the chickens today yet. You do dilute this in water. This didn't seem to bother the chickens at all and the bugs seemed to disappear yesterday evening. I did also spray around the coop. Mostly the bugs are living on the chickens now, so I knew I had to treat them. Hopefully this will take care of the problem.

Try one of the permethrin sprays for cattle or horses. They should work. Apply sparingly.

Last edited:
We have had problems with Black Flies for several years. A couple of years ago, I came home from work one day and all four of my 8-week old pullets were dead. I use Equinet. It contains several natural plant oils including Citronella. It is guaranteed to repel the flies, but I have to reapply it every day until the hatch season is over. Thanks littledel, I think I'll try the SSS. I think it's probably less expensive than the Equinet. Also the Equinet contains Cedar Tree oil. Its a low enough concentration that I don't think it's near as much a risk as the flies, but the SSS is probably safer.

We also have these bugs. We call them buffalo gnats. We use vanilla to keep them away from us, and permethrin around the coop to keep them off the chickens. Last year we lost 40 some baby chicks to them. If you don't want to use chemicals, we also found a fan in the coop helped, as did spraying vanilla on the chickens. Although, you need to reapply everyday. This year we just went with the chemical to avoid the problems of last year. I also read somewhere that using DE earth where the chickens dust helps, again, if you don't want chemicals, this is organic. Best of luck to you!

I live in Arkansas, south of Fort Smith.. and the B. N. here are terrible. This is the first year they have attacked my chickens.. I bought a can of the Barn and Dairy spray. I have sprayed it in the air above the chickens.. Seems like it is helping. I hope and I am not about to kill my chickens. I am going to look at them in the morning and see about how they appear. Might need to pick up something different. Any other ideas are welcomed.
Melinda

We battle black flies here every spring. To the point that you don't go outside without a mosquito net over your face and tight cuffed sleeves. My horses wear fly masks for the 2 worst weeks. Last year someone told me to try mouthwash in a sprayer and spray their stalls. It seemed to help some and the barn smelled like a breath of fresh air:) So far I have not seen the flies bothering the chickens.

We're just coming into the season now...yay.

Back
Top Bottom