What are these Buff Orpington Chicks??

OhanaChicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 5, 2012
Here are pic's of our 2 Buff Orpington chicks, they are 4 weeks old. They look so different, I'm curious what your opinions on them are since we have no previous chicken experience :) . Here's # 1, named CeeCee... And #2, named Puffy... #2's tail feathers are a lot longer and overall she (?) is a bigger chick. #1 has always been smaller, just started with the tail feathers, and her (?) coloring is a lot different. Thanks!!!

aoxa

Crowing
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Shediac Cape NB, Canada
My Coop
My Coop
Here are pic's of our 2 Buff Orpington chicks, they are 4 weeks old. They look so different, I'm curious what your opinions on them are since we have no previous chicken experience :) . Here's # 1, named CeeCee... And #2, named Puffy... #2's tail feathers are a lot longer and overall she (?) is a bigger chick. #1 has always been smaller, just started with the tail feathers, and her (?) coloring is a lot different. Thanks!!!
I think the first one may be a roo. Pullets tend to feather in faster than cockerels. I have no idea why he is so much darker.. That's not any buff colour I've ever seen :/

OhanaChicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 5, 2012
Thank you, I knew there was something different with that one :/ , the kids have now renamed him "Bob", lol. Unfortunately, if Bob is a rooster, he has to find a new home :( .

aoxa

Crowing
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Shediac Cape NB, Canada
My Coop
My Coop
Buff Orpington Roos will be darker than the Buff Orpington Hens and he does look like a roo.

Buff Orpington roosters only get darker once they are older. At this age, they should be the same colour. Otherwise there would be a lot less questions regarding the sex of them.

Though I do believe it's a roo, I don't know why it is so dark. Buff Orp roos will get darker on their hackles/saddles before anywhere else. Just thought I'd mention that.

Red Barn Farms

~Friendly Fowl~
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Kentucky Heartland
It almost looks like a cross. I've never seen a buff orpington with 'reddish' color. humm
hu.gif

StormyMoon

Songster
9 Years
May 1, 2010
Alvarado, TX
When any of my buff orpingtons began to feather the roos started coming darker than the females .

As baby chicks they are slightly darker than the females but not that much and it is almost hard to see unless you got a good eye.

But as soon as any feathers come out right away you can see the difference between male and female by week 4 and 5 .

OhanaChicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 5, 2012
That one was always darker, even at a week old... When we got him/her, my husband asked the guy about it, but he can't remember what he said. :/ Time will tell I guess. I really hope it's not a rooster, but it seems he may well be...

Top Bottom