What are these Buff Orpington Chicks??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OhanaChicks, May 28, 2012.

1. OhanaChicks

OhanaChicks In the Brooder

May 5, 2012
    Here are pic's of our 2 Buff Orpington chicks, they are 4 weeks old. They look so different, I'm curious what your opinions on them are since we have no previous chicken experience :) . Here's # 1, named CeeCee... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] And #2, named Puffy... [​IMG] [​IMG] #2's tail feathers are a lot longer and overall she (?) is a bigger chick. #1 has always been smaller, just started with the tail feathers, and her (?) coloring is a lot different. Thanks!!!

2. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

I think the first one may be a roo. Pullets tend to feather in faster than cockerels. I have no idea why he is so much darker.. That's not any buff colour I've ever seen :/

3. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Songster

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Buff Orpington Roos will be darker than the Buff Orpington Hens and he does look like a roo.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  4. OhanaChicks

May 5, 2012
    Thank you, I knew there was something different with that one :/ , the kids have now renamed him "Bob", lol. Unfortunately, if Bob is a rooster, he has to find a new home :( .

5. aoxa

aoxa Crowing

Buff Orpington roosters only get darker once they are older. At this age, they should be the same colour. Otherwise there would be a lot less questions regarding the sex of them.

Though I do believe it's a roo, I don't know why it is so dark. Buff Orp roos will get darker on their hackles/saddles before anywhere else. Just thought I'd mention that.

6. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    It almost looks like a cross. I've never seen a buff orpington with 'reddish' color. humm [​IMG]

7. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Songster

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    When any of my buff orpingtons began to feather the roos started coming darker than the females .

As baby chicks they are slightly darker than the females but not that much and it is almost hard to see unless you got a good eye.

But as soon as any feathers come out right away you can see the difference between male and female by week 4 and 5 .

8. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Songster

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    I don't believe those are Buff Orpingtons ... mine were never anywhere near that dark ...

9. OhanaChicks

May 5, 2012
    That one was always darker, even at a week old... When we got him/her, my husband asked the guy about it, but he can't remember what he said. :/ Time will tell I guess. I really hope it's not a rooster, but it seems he may well be...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: