What. Are these bugs?

lisa523

Songster
9 Years
Jun 11, 2014
These bugs are on the outside of my coop. There is nothing on my chickens. I've checked and re-checked. My chickens dust bathe daily and have nothing crawling on them. Could someone please help me identify these oval shaped bugs?

I only find them on the window ledge, under a rock that sits on top of my feed can and along the outside of my pop doors.

They look to be some sort of beetle. I wouldn't worry, the world is full of bugs. Most of them your chickens will eat.

I agree that they look like some sort of beetle and should not affect your birds. However, if you are worried about them you could try cleaning the coop and laying down some Sevin dust before putting down fresh bedding.

There's no need to kill every bug you see....the one in pic is not a chicken parasite.

Sevin is nasty and now has a lifetime withdrawal on poultry meat and eggs per FARAD.

The permethrin product you linked will work on the birds if they become infested with lice or mites....
....but IMO there's no reason to spread insecticide around unless there's a valid reason(ei; positive ID of parasitic bugs on your birds).
Permethrin also kills all bugs(good and bad) but there is no meat/egg withdrawal.

Back
Top Bottom