1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What. Are these bugs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lisa523, Jul 18, 2016.

1. lisa523

lisa523 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2014
    These bugs are on the outside of my coop. There is nothing on my chickens. I've checked and re-checked. My chickens dust bathe daily and have nothing crawling on them. Could someone please help me identify these oval shaped bugs?

I only find them on the window ledge, under a rock that sits on top of my feed can and along the outside of my pop doors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They look to be some sort of beetle. I wouldn't worry, the world is full of bugs. Most of them your chickens will eat.

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I agree that they look like some sort of beetle and should not affect your birds. However, if you are worried about them you could try cleaning the coop and laying down some Sevin dust before putting down fresh bedding.

4. lisa523

lisa523 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    There's no need to kill every bug you see....the one in pic is not a chicken parasite.

Sevin is nasty and now has a lifetime withdrawal on poultry meat and eggs per FARAD.

The permethrin product you linked will work on the birds if they become infested with lice or mites....
    ....but IMO there's no reason to spread insecticide around unless there's a valid reason(ei; positive ID of parasitic bugs on your birds).
    Permethrin also kills all bugs(good and bad) but there is no meat/egg withdrawal.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by