What are these Chicks?

sesplin

Hatching
7 Years
May 5, 2012
We got 4 of these chicks yesterday at the feed store and they told us they were Dominique chicks. Half the chicks had white spots on their heads and the other half didn't...so we thought they weren't Dominique's but maybe a black sex linked. We took home the ones without white spots on their heads. Looking at the pictures though, that doesn't seem to fit either. They are about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks old. Some of the chicks have a bit more black on their feet...some less. Same with the beaks. Some are more black, some less. They all have a few white feather on the outer feathers of their wings, white around the eyes and white underbellies. Any ideas???

Black Jersey Giants or Black Australorps (if Aussies then the bottoms of their feet will turn pink). Black Sexlink pullets are all dark gray with a tiny bit of brown here and there.

Thanks. I'm not quite sure what to do if we have 4 jersey giants! Those are big girls! You're right though, they do look like them. Is it normal for feed stores to sell chicks under the incorrect breed? (These were suppose to be Dominiques).

Feed stores mislabel chicks ALL the time. Sometimes it's the hatcheries fault, other times the store employees just have no clue and write whatever breed is listed on the packing invoice.

I picked up 3 Japanese bantams last week from my local TSC that were in the Meat Bird bin.

Your chick looks a bit like an Australorp to me.

I think its an Aussie also...and I got both a Dark Cornish and a Silver Duckwing OEG out of the Easter Egger bin at my TSC.

Thanks guys...you've been really helpful. We're new to chickens but so far really love them. I do hope they are Australorps because that is what I originally wanted and we wouldn't have to wait so long for them to produce eggs! Is there any way to tell the males from females at this point? Thanks! I'm excited to see what we end up with!

(Above) this is a 3 week Australorp we bought separately. Her feet really are pinkish-white

(Above) #1 chick: This gal has the most orange feet of the bunch. I guess that would make her a giant?

(Above) #2 This one has pinkish orange feet. They aren't nearly as orange as the #1 chick. I'm not sure about this guy.

#3 chick

#4 chick

So what do you think seeing the pictures? Thanks!

Here's a picture of the group. In this picture you can really see how the chick up front has feet that are much more orange than the rest. The other 3 smaller ones still seem to have feet that are slightly more orange than the known Australorp (the biggest girl in the picture). I have no idea what the genders are of the smaller ones!

Back
Top Bottom