What are these mysterious birds that have taken up residence at our house??

varanisblack

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 25, 2012
Brooksville Florida
Well we live in an area where quite a few have chickens and we have had some visitors.
A white Guinie stops by every now and again to visit ours and we feed him when he is around.
Now we have 4 birds we have no idea where they came from or what they are and they have decided our porch is their new home!
Not sure what type or what gender they are so maybe someone here can help us out
cool.png

They are quite friendly and last night they roosted on the railing and even let the grand kids pet them!!
Seems odd they'd rather be around the porch with the people and the dogs than the coop where Marys chickens reside!?!?

OH and a quick shot of the Guinie who stops buy and from what the neighbor says is the last of a group of 6 feral Guinies that have been around for a couple of years!

Last edited:
those are only chicks! you might want to check with any neboirs to see if they're missing any chickens.

They look game to me. I would guess the first two pics show two males one female. Third pic male. Fourth and fifth pic female. Just a guess.
The guinea ....not a clue.

I was thinking game as well but Mary is the chicken person and we are fairly new to chickens, there is a farm rescue in the area and "as sad as it is" there have been a few unwanted animals dropped off around here, I have talked to the neighbors I know have chickens and so far all are accounted for, they do not look that old but are close to the size of my grandsons Sumatra girl but bigger than our bantams we had, I can see no spurs developing as of yet.

We have a number of feral cats, cyoties and foxes in the area so it is surprising they are surviving out on their own. Are the games more apt to free range survival than others? DO you think they will be fine out there if we do not find an owner?? we really do not want to introduce new birds to our flock especialy ones we have no idea where they came from!?

I agree. They look like Modern Game. Can't tell completely from the first picture the specifics of the other birds, but the one looks like a hen.

Games do really well free ranged. They can adapt to their surroundings quite well as they are very smart athletic fowl.
Your birds in question do look young though, I would say about three months old(about). So how long have
they been out there?

Last edited:
They appeared I think it was Tuesday when the grand kids said we had chickens get out.
I did not see them my self until Thursday, Thursday and Friday night they adopted our porch railing as a roost so I set up a make shift roost in the garden out in front of the house that they used last night.

do they have combs?? they are a game breed but if they don't have single combs that can rule out a fair amout of game breeds such as the modern (which they don't look anything like) they may also be game mixes

Any time someone has chickens just ranging around, chances are high they're game birds. They're some of the scrappiest birds, and are much more likely to survive in the wild than any "dual purpose" birds. I see game type hens.

Back
Top Bottom