What are these?! - Need Identification help! =)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by WillnGina, May 12, 2010.

1. WillnGina

WillnGina Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Tampa Area
    Ok so the assortment that I purchased was 3 Cuckoo Marans (one not pictured, it's in brooder "time out" for pecking), 2 Jerseys, 1 Australorp and 1 Black Sex-Link.

My question is does it look like that's what I have? [​IMG]

My "marans" don't look like many of the pics I've seen. I know they vary greatly and was just wondering if someone who has expeirence could verify anything?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. WillnGina

May 7, 2010
    Tampa Area
    They are loving it outside now that the weather is mid 80s! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  3. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Ok, I see your Marans, and I think I see your Australorp, but I don't think I see your JG's, and I'm not sure on the Sexlink. Those brown chicks sure look like Welsummers to me. Try posting pictures of just the ones you think are JG's, and the BA separately too, and the SL. And of course, the Marans. In the top pick I see one Marans all the way on the right, and I believe the one 2 over from it is your second Marans. But those brown ones are NOT JG's. I swear they are Wellies. Right down to that chipmunk stripe. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along and add more info. I got my BA hen when she was already an 8 week old pullet, so I can't say for sure what she looked like as a tiny baby. But I do know that JG's and BA's look a lot a like.

4. kaylakian

kaylakian Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    northampton england
    the brown ones look just like my welsummer chicks pics are on how can i tell sex of my chicks on this forum:[​IMG]

5. WillnGina

May 7, 2010
    Tampa Area
    [​IMG]

Ok so if what I bought is correct the giants are the first pic, black sex link in the second, maran on the right (which does look like a welsummer to me) and australorp on the bottom. Sorry for the crappy paint pic just threw it together fast I'll photoshop more if needed.

Thanks guys!!

6. WillnGina

May 7, 2010
    Tampa Area
    Ok after looking further at more pics around I think the lighter ones are definately Welsummers, I bet the feed store mixed them up due to their similairity in eggs maybe? Who knows, but the Jerseys from what she told me (My Fiance did all the purchasing) were labeled as assorted giants. Their legs are the same with only the toes not being black. The sex-link has completely black legs, and the australorp looks pretty much like most of the chicks I've seen.

Anyone with some experience with Jerseys that can tell?

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  7. WillnGina

May 7, 2010
    Tampa Area
    Any Jersey pros?

8. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    The ones that everyone is saying is a Welsummer looks identical to the ones I purchased that were labeled gold laced wyandottes so I am completely confused and have no idea what either one of us has. I guess we got chickens [​IMG]

9. WillnGina

May 7, 2010
    Tampa Area
    Anyone else have some insight?

10. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    The 3rd chick the one with the brown feathers, white head with the stripe on the side looks like several baby chicks that I have and I purchased some ameracaunas from a local breeder. I may be wrong though. Either way your chicks are all cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by