What are these pullets?

Noymira

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Chittenden County, VT
I just picked these 4 pullets up from a local farmer. All he could tell me was that he gets the birds hatched at the University of Vermont when they do it for a class, once the class is over they bring him the chicks. Usually they are meat birds which he raises to eat. They brought him twelve chicks this year, 4 were meat birds, the rest where different. He used to have up to 600 chickens on his farm, so I kind of expected leghorns or rocks or some other layer. When we went to pick them up he said they looked like something you'd see at the fair. I took the 4 pullets (he also tried to give me the 4 roosters) and now don't know what they are! They are about 16 weeks old.

598c81af.jpg

b42e437f.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Those white eyes are typical of Zombies.
hide.gif

Body type says leghorn. If they develop white earlobes - leghorns for sure.

Thanks, I'll look up more on leghorns. They are quite bit smaller than my other pullets, so really wasn't sure. They have a very upright carriage and are really slender. The roos had even longer legs, and huge combs.

I also think white leghorns, but would expect them to have larger combs at 16 weeks, so I wonder if they're younger.

Quote:
The farmer I got them from said he got them in May. Is it normal for them to be so slim? They look very different from my 16 week old BR and RIR pullets.

Back
Top Bottom