What are THESE!????? Sand colored mites in my house.

alexisrambles

Songster
May 22, 2019
Louisiana
So I have had four silkies in my house for quite a while. they just left this week, so I took the time this weekend to clean my house. The next day, I found this pile of what look like sand on the floor. When I swept it up it clumped together like wet sand. Upon a closer inspection however, it's thousands of tiny bugs.

What is this and how do I kill it!?!??!!???

20200210_141013.jpg
20200210_140736.jpg

Attachments

• 20200210_140740.jpg
    20200210_140740.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 22
I would be bleaching the heck out of everything.

Do you still have the silkies? I would treat them too, not with the bleach, obviously.. treat the coop too. Clean everything.

Looks like beach sand. Gag

I would be bleaching the heck out of everything.

Do you still have the silkies? I would treat them too, not with the bleach, obviously.. treat the coop too. Clean everything.

Looks like beach sand. Gag

Oh. They're getting treated ASAP. Sadly I have a cat, or otherwise I'd just permethrin-ise everything. I don't think bleach would kill them though and I am NAUSEATED. 🤢🤢🤢

I've been trying to keep on top of the leaning in that room as much as possible but I just don't know what this IS!!?

I'm thinking it must have been in their bedding. When I was throwing it out I noticed some sandy stuff. I just thought it was decomposed wood shavings!

I honestly really hate bleach but I think I'll do that. This is so disgusting.
you could buy scented bleach. I use lavender bleach and it's not too strong! You can barely smell the bleach. I had grain mites in my king quail enclosures last year.. it was so bad, I didn't notice until they were climbing out the cages and onto my walls! I thought they were dust.. bleach killed everything off.

you could buy scented bleach. I use lavender bleach and it's not too strong! You can barely smell the bleach. I had grain mites in my king quail enclosures last year.. it was so bad, I didn't notice until they were climbing out the cages and onto my walls! I thought they were dust.. bleach killed everything off.
Well that's good to know! From the way they behaved I would have expected them to react to bleach like fire ants. Floating. *Shudder*

The next day, I found this pile of what look like sand on the floor. When I swept it up it clumped together like wet sand. Upon a closer inspection however, it's thousands of tiny bugs.
Yikes!!!
Where were these in relation to where the birds were kept?
Might be poultry mites....or, more likely, something else all together.
Hard to know for sure unless you can get a single one under a microscope...even then.
First thought is grain mites....freaked me out first time I saw them:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/grain-mites.981212/

Back
Top Bottom