What are these two pullets?

parrotmama

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 27, 2013
I mentioned we had chickens in my first thread here, and my fiance posted, at some point, that we lost 3 of our 6 to what we assume to be something they shouldn't have eaten. A container of bad food I was using to lure flies into my traps had been knocked over, and we think that the chickens may have, at the least, stepped in it and cleaned it off their feet. The others are quite fine and are getting very heavy!

It's always baffled us on whether they're mixes or not. I'm not chicken savvy, and he's never dealt with these particular species. We have a Golden-Laced Wyandotte, and two Ameraucanas, at least, that's what we were told at the store.

The reason I question Heist, my little Wyandotte, is because she's rumpless... If what I've read is correct, Golden-Laced Wyandottes usually have tails, right? I don't have a picture of her back end, so I'll post what I currently have. Heist is also very tiny, but she appeared to be a 'runt', of sorts, from the start, when I picked her out from all the chicks.

Both Ameraucanas have tails. Winter, one of the Ameraucanas, is very beautiful. He thinks she is an actual Ameraucana, but I don't think so because she lacks the little 'beard'. Winter also seems to be lacking a comb?... Is there such thing as a late bloomer, or a combless chicken in the poultry world?

I don't have a picture of mutt, but he questions if she's a mix. I don't because she DOES have the beard. I'd get a picture, but I can't transfer pictures at the moment, so taking one would do no good. The best I can describe is she's very plump, heavy, red in color with a black top on her head, and a little fuzzy 'beard' under her lower beak.

Any definitive answer on this, or any input?

Last edited:
Golden laced Wyandotte and easter egger. Is the Wyandotte actually rumpless(no tail bone) or does it have the tail bone but no feathers? I think Heist is a rooster btw, Looks very pink and big that comb and wattles.

The first one is a Golden Laced Wyandotte, probably a cockerel. The second bird is an Easter Egger pullet.

Heist does look like a GLW and does look like he may be a boy. The taillessness is genetic and can show up randomly in any breed, even those who usually have tails. Wyandottes do come in bantam, wonder if it is a banty?
Winter does look like an EE/Ameraucana, they have peacombs which are very tiny and flat to start with, especially in the girls. Generally with them, if you can see a comb on a young bird, it is a boy.
EEs or Easter Eggers are basically mixed breed birds that are descended from Ameraucanas/Araucanas. They may or may not carry the blue egg gene and may or may not have muffs and beards. Ameraucanas and Araucanas are two different breeds that have a breed standard. ahttp://www.ameraucana.org/ is the website for the Ameraucana club, they have a basic explanation of the differences and what makes an Ameraucana on their FAQs page. A bird actually can be a "purebred" Ameraucana but be considered an EE if it does not meet the standard. Things get more confusing because most hatcheries sell what most people consider EEs as Ameraucanas or Araucanas.

Ok, thanks everyone! I managed to get a picture of Mutt. I'm pretty sure she's a run of the mill Ameraucana, but, once again, I'm not chicken savvy.

I felt Heist's back end and there is a tail bone, so she may be a late bloomer. As far as the he thing goes... I don't know, they mass ordered females, so she's supposed to be a girlie. Heist also doesn't act like a he and doesn't have spurs... very inquisitive, not loud at all or anything. Heist is the quietest one of our three.

PS: They were all hatched May 2 this year, so they're roughly 3 months.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks everyone! I managed to get a picture of Mutt. I'm pretty sure she's a run of the mill Ameraucana, but, once again, I'm not chicken savvy.

I felt Heist's back end and there is a tail bone, so she may be a late bloomer. As far as the he thing goes... I don't know, they mass ordered females, so she's supposed to be a girlie. Heist also doesn't act like a he and doesn't have spurs... very inquisitive, not loud at all or anything. Heist is the quietest one of our three.

PS: They were all hatched May 2 this year, so they're roughly 3 months.
Spurs don't start coming in until they are almost a year old.

Ahhh, ok. I was wondering if they came in young or later in life. We'll have to see... I really hope she isn't, it's illegal to own a roo on residential property, you can only own 6 hens here on residential.

She's my favorite of the three, and the only one left of my girls. Mutt is just... Mutt. Not much of a personality, in my opinion. Winter is flighty. Heist is very inquisitive, happy to spend time with you, and likes to explore when she's not getting attention.

If it helps any, I'd noticed that my other Wyandottes were developing their comb earlier than the Easter Eggers/Ameraucanas, but were slower on getting in all their feathers. Think it's just a GLW thing?

Back
Top Bottom