What are these white worms? Ewww...(Pic included)

m00res

Songster
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
San Diego
I have had an unfortunate run lately losing one bird to Mareks and 4 others showing the weight loss symptoms. All are rescues so I don't know their vaccination history, however two of the sick birds were rescued from a commercial facility so I assumed they would have been vaccinated.

One girl just pooped right in front of me and it has these glob of worms shown below. I am starting to think that only two birds had Maerks and the others might just have worms. (Yeayyy...I think) However, I heard that wormers are hard on their systems so I don't want to just do trial and error with the wormer since they are so skinny and compromised anyway.

I had TWO fecal test done at the local vet last week and both came back negative. So I am now turning to my BYC experts. Can you help me identify these worms so I can get the appropariate wormer? (I currently use feed grade DE in the litter but not in their food)

When they are not moving they look like little round balls. The part that does move (the head?) starts out round and then reaches out to a point. I have more pictures if you need them.

Thank you, thank you!

17621_worms.jpg

Last edited:
*L*A*G* ,

I figured they needed to be dewormed...given the worms...hehe. Do you happen to know WHAT kind of worm they are so I can choose the correct dewormer for them? Do you think these are tapeworms, too?

If they are in my eggs, would I see them??? Does this mean I have worms??

Thanks guys!

I hate to even say out loud how disgusting this thread is but I had no idea chickens could get worms or even worse, pass them right along inside the egg no less.

I am following this thread - hard as it may be for me to do - I need to know about this and how and when to deworm my chickens and with what?

I always recommend Valbazen as it is for all types of worms not just roundworms which are the most common type seen. I would also guess tapeworms. You can buy Vabazen from First State Vet Supply, they carry it in a smaller bottle and with directions for chickens on it.

Chickens can get worms from eating earthworms and other things like that.

I've heard that a safe way to get rid of them is to throw some cayenne pepper in with their food (liberally - the chickens don't mind) - the worms will leave... do it three times, one week apart, and you shouldn't have trouble.

Quote:
It's just segments of the tapeworm that show up in the poo. They look like grains of rice.

The entire worm looks like a big onion ring (without the breaded part).

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom