What are these?

Brahma Chicken5000

Araucana Addict
Sep 26, 2017
Central New Jersey
These little things have showed up in my pigeon coop in the last 2 weeks. I’ve cleaned out the run and replaced it with new dirt and they just came back. They cling to the feeders and the waterers. They don’t bother the birds, I just want to get rid of them. I’ve tried mixing some sevin dust and poultry dust into the dirt. I’ve sprayed them with neem oil. How can I get rid of them and what are they?
444791E4-AC1C-4633-A16E-8C6C9AB63D4D.jpeg
E26B60DD-A14A-4A66-80FC-F38F24D04AF2.jpeg

Never encountered devlz like that :idunno
My choice option would be,, Remove pigeons to safe cage away from loft.
Spray, wet down ALL areas with Laundry Bleach. Use personal CAUTION when using bleach, and avoid breathing fumes. There are a few ways to achieve this.
First, use a respirator mask. Use a fan to blow fresh air at you so bleach fumes are blown away. Bleach will dry out and no more fumes to deal with. I think the insects would have HAD IT AT THAT POINT also.
Return pigeons when all is clean and no more smell of bleach fumes. Summer weather, especially dry, and warm, will have bleach dry out quickly.

Never encountered devlz like that :idunno
My choice option would be,, Remove pigeons to safe cage away from loft.
Spray, wet down ALL areas with Laundry Bleach. Use personal CAUTION when using bleach, and avoid breathing fumes. There are a few ways to achieve this.
First, use a respirator mask. Use a fan to blow fresh air at you so bleach fumes are blown away. Bleach will dry out and no more fumes to deal with. I think the insects would have HAD IT AT THAT POINT also.
Return pigeons when all is clean and no more smell of bleach fumes. Summer weather, especially dry, and warm, will have bleach dry out quickly.
I can spray everything down with bleach and I have fans to help it dry and push the fumes away.
So just straight undiluted bleach in a spray bottle? Also will the bleach get absorbed into the dirt? I will try this today. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hard to say, maybe some kind of aphid.
@Tesumph might know.
Would need to get one in a clear pic, might need magnifier or microscope.
Get a few in a jar and/or on a piece of clear tape.

No need to douse everything in poison just because you see some bugs.
Might kill these guys' predators too. ;)
There are soooo many insects, most are not a threat to chickens.

Hard to say, maybe some kind of aphid.
@Tesumph might know.
Would need to get one in a clear pic, might need magnifier or microscope.
Get a few in a jar and/or on a piece of clear tape.

No need to douse everything in poison just because you see some bugs.
Might kill these guys' predators too. ;)
There are soooo many insects, most are not a threat to chickens.
I think they might be springtails. They don’t seem to be poultry/bird parasites thankfully and the pigeons don’t seem bothered by them so I’ll leave them for now.
I tried looking at some I taped up under my microscope but it’s old.

Last edited:
The neem oil didn’t do the trick and now there are even more of these darn things! :barnie
I had these things on a waterer a few years ago so I hung the waterer instead of keeping it on pavers and the bugs disappeared. I can’t really elevate or hang the feeder and waterer for my pigeons. I’m going to put the pigeons in a dog crate on the grass and let my chickens dig through the run. If that doesn’t get rid of the bugs I’m going to bleach everything.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom