What are these?

Jun 9, 2021
I have tried DE, homemade sprays, removal of bedding, digging out the coop floor, etc. The bugs prevailed. I’m looking to use something stronger to get rid of these buggers. The attached Photo is from the internet, it best describes what I see on my birds flight feathers. What do you all recommend?

Attachments

• 13C6CF49-1537-4289-8FA0-E253EA14EB10.jpeg
    13C6CF49-1537-4289-8FA0-E253EA14EB10.jpeg
    847 KB · Views: 10
I have tried DE, homemade sprays, removal of bedding, digging out the coop floor, etc. The bugs prevailed. I’m looking to use something stronger to get rid of these buggers. The attached Photo is from the internet, it best describes what I see on my birds flight feathers. What do you all recommend?
They look like some kind of mite. I used the spray permethrin previously when my chickens got mites and it got rid of them completely. What I did was take the chickens out of the coop, remove the bedding, and spray the walls, floor, roost, and nest boxes including every crack and crevice. Then I sprayed the chickens (lift the feathers so you spray the skin) under the wings, on the back, and around the tail/vent area. You'll need to spray the chickens every 7 days (maybe 3-4 times total) to get the rest of the mites that hatch depending on how bad they are. I only thoroughly sprayed the coop minus bedding one time.

Make sure to wear gloves, long sleeves, eye protection, and a mask and know that permethrin is toxic to cats so don't let them around where you're spraying if you have any. :thumbsup Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom