What ARE these?

hazelton farms

Songster
12 Years
Jan 4, 2008
NC
Well, we know they are rabbits... the question is, what kind? We were told at first, angora, but have since been told double maned lionheads. But now we have some double maned lionheads and they don't look like these exactly. We can't get 'em to breed either, although we know they are young. We've tried the male (grey) on nearly all our females, nothing. We've tried the female with all our males...nothing. Too furry? I don't know... We just wonder what they are before we take them to the auction so we can tell them there what they are.
wink.png
Thanks for any help you have!

bunnies002.jpg

Stacy

Could be jersey wooleys. I believe that is what they used to create the Lionheads and they are fuzzy all over. Hard to tell from a pic, and I have never had them, but it is possible. Go to the ARBA and look up different breeds and compare. How much do they weigh?

Sorry, I have no clue but wanted to say "How Cute!" What sweet looking rabbits. I think the gray one is just beautiful! Sigh! Maybe they are a breed that matures later and they are just too young right now. They seem just too cute to part with.
big_smile.png
It's a good thing my DH won't let me have every "cute" critter that I want.
gig.gif

I say pure lionheads. Our buck had a wooly face which isnt in the standard. They probably just have bad breeding. You will know if they are double maned if you get them to breed with another rabbit, if the babies have maines then they are double maned.

LOL! they are cute and kinda friendly too. But my daughter (these are hers) is trying with her friend to have a "business". At 15, she's got to make the most of her money that she can. Food, etc. is taking a lot of money (currently out of my pocket!), so if they won't breed, she's got to get some that will.

It's a hard decision for her, but she's definately letting this pair go.

As for jersey woolies..we looked and they just aren't quite the same. But neither are they quite the same for lionheads... Good thought though. We've looked all over the web trying to identify them.

Thanks for the compliments.

Stacy

The one is front is a double maned lionhead, the one in the back is either a single maned lionhead or a maneless one. I cant tell

Lionheads are a fairly new breed, so some of them look different. Some purebreds dont even have a mane. It all depends on the gentics.

Look at the pictures from this website, it shows how different they can look:
http://www.lionheadrabbit.net/gen gallery oldies.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom