What are these?

ChickieKat

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 17, 2013
A neighbor of ours had a pair of chickens hanging out at the end of her very long driveway for the last three days and put a post up on our local neighborhood forum looking for the owners. Nobody has answered yet, so we took them in and they are now living in our bathroom. They look like some sort of fancy showy breed and are definitely a hen and a rooster. The hen has a very long tail, but no spur on her legs and a much smaller comb than the rooster. They are quite docile, just very hungry. Here are some pics if anyone can ID them for us.

Any ideas? They seem healthy, but I know they need to be isolated for quite a while before attempting to add them to our small flock of 7 hens. I am really not sure what to do with them, but was feeling distressed about them being eaten by something. We live on a small mountainside and there are tons of predators around. I have no idea how they have survived for the last three days out on their own. We will definitely keep putting the word out to neighbors too to see if we can find their home. They are so beautiful, and they definitely seem like pets.

I thought so at first too, but one has a much smaller comb and definitely no spur, although it does appear to have what looks like a toe where the spur would be. They are they same size and are very much traveling as a pair. I have never seen a hen with a long tail like that, so I am baffled.

Also, the one with the spurs has a very large walnut comb, not a single comb. The pics of American Game Fowl have single combs. The comb on this one is huge and looks almost like a hat. He has a hard time seeing straight ahead and has to turn his head to the side to see.

They are quite beautiful. I am so hoping they are homeless and can integrate into our flock! How long should the be kept isolated? They are living in our bathroom for now and can live there for a week or two if need be, but I know that isn't ideal.

I thought so at first too, but one has a much smaller comb and definitely no spur, although it does appear to have what looks like a toe where the spur would be.  They are they same size and are very much traveling as a pair.  I have never seen a hen with a long tail like that, so I am baffled.

Not all rooster have spurs.

Back
Top Bottom