what are they really?

madgabmomma

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
SE Texas
Ok I am not really new too chickens but I'm new too learing about breed genetics and true breeds. I've always just had standard egg layers as pets and for eggs. In the last year I've been breeding and hatching a little bit just for fun really. So about 7months ago I bought 2 black austrolorps and one so called RIR from a local breeder. I never gave breed much thought before but since I'm planning to hatch and sell I really want to know what I'm doing. I'm not worried about show quality or anything like that but I do want my customers too know what they are getting from me. So I bought 2 more so called RIR's from a different breeder about 2months ago and they look nothing like the first one. So I was hoping you could tell me what they really are and how you can tell. I'm also adding a picture of an unknow rooster that I hatched. I bought a dozen of lavender orphington (before I knew better) and black austrolorp eggs too hatch from another bycer. Only one of the 12 hatched and I'm not sure what the heck he is. He's a very sweet little rooster that's all I know LOL
smile.png
Thanks!

85027_021.jpg

from 1st breeder

85027_red1.jpg

same girl

85027_red_roo2.jpg

from second breeder I'm thinking roo?

85027_redhen.jpg

from second breeder I'm thinking hen

85027_unknown.jpg

and the mystery chick

The first one looks more like a new hampshire or even a RIR/buff orp mix. The other 2 RIR's are closer to the color that you want. The orp looks like some of the blue/black x buff orp mixes Ive seen to me but Im not an orpington expert.

The first hen is marked like a New Hampshire, but it should have yellow legs and the feathers are laced and shafted. Maybe it does have yellow legs in person. It looks like a production bird. That bird is in very good condition. The second two birds are close to a real RIR, but they are not dark enough. Good RIR's almost look black at a distance.

I have no idea what the last bird is. It has white legs, which usually means it is from one of the breeds in the English class.

Walt

All of your RIRs are hatchery quality, which although beautiful, means that they're aren't show quality RIRs, because they are too ligh colored. Your first RIR looks like she might have been faded by the sun, but would still be too light anyway.There are two kinds of hatchery quality RIRs, pure RIRs that just aren't show quality, which is what your second and third birds look like, and New Hamshire RIR crosses, which are called production reds. Your second one looks like a rooster, and your third looks like a hen.
big_smile.png
As for your last, I would guess just a barnyard mix(mutt).
So, if your looking to tell your customers what your giving them, then you've got:
A production red who is unusally light, yet still beautiful.
A non show quality RIR rooster and hen, and
a barnyard mix.
Wait a minute, sorry, I just realized that your first hen has white legs. In that case she's probably just a mutt, which would explain the pretty light color of her feathering. So you've got two mixes, and two non show quality RIRs. Good luck!
big_smile.png

Thanks so much for the info! Yes the light hen does have white legs. She is a very pretty girl and a great egg layer but I am glad too know what I've got now. I'm going too be finding a new home for the last roo although he's super sweet and friendly I just don't need another roo. Thanks again for the info everyone!!

Hi, Your first girlie, with the white legs, looks to me like a Buff Orp crossed with something red....does that make her a strawberry-buff orp?(teehee). And the last one looks similarly BO crossed with...?....Australorp? Same white legs and Orpish neck pattern? Just my gut guess.

mm

maizy'smom :

Hi, Your first girlie, with the white legs, looks to me like a Buff Orp crossed with something red....does that make her a strawberry-buff orp?(teehee). And the last one looks similarly BO crossed with...?....Australorp? Same white legs and Orpish neck pattern? Just my gut guess.

mm

HAHAHAHA! I LOVE IT.....strawberry-buff orp
smile.png
Being a strawberry blonde myself I'm partial too it lol And it's very possible that the last one is a BOxBA mix as the lady I bought the eggs from said she raises both. It was suppose to be some pure bread BA eggs, and some lav orp eggs but they were not suppose to be mixed. And that little guy is the only one that hatched boo! But that's the chance you take ordering eggs I guess.​

Quote:

I am a poultry snob, so I look at things some folks don't notice. I can tell even though it is only a pic, that the bird is in very good physical condition. Obviously I haven't handled her, but that is pretty evident in feather condition and general appearance of the bird. It is a commercial bird, but I still enjoy a well conditioned bird. I am an APA/ABA general lic judge if that means anything. bottom line is that you have a very healthy bird in prime condition......good job!

Walt

Quote:

I am a poultry snob, so I look at things some folks don't notice. I can tell even though it is only a pic, that the bird is in very good physical condition. Obviously I haven't handled her, but that is pretty evident in feather condition and general appearance of the bird. It is a commercial bird, but I still enjoy a well conditioned bird. I am an APA/ABA general lic judge if that means anything. bottom line is that you have a very healthy bird in prime condition......good job!

Walt

Thanks Walt!
smile.png
I try very hard too keep all my animals in good physical condition and health. All of my chickens free range at least every other day on our 6acres of pasture and woods. I also spend a lot of time keeping pens cleaned and researching proper diets. Maybe one day I will have some show quality birds but I have a lot to learn and for now I'm mostly just worried about selling healthy birds and being honest about what I'm breeding. I don't want anyone too be in my position of thinking they have something they don't. And I don't mind having mutts by any means, in fact they are some of the prettiest birds sometimes. My youngest daughter is 3 and she like me has a love for the chickens. In fact they also have a lot for her
smile.png
So when she's a bit older I have a feeling we will be looking into some show quality for fairs or 4-H. When that time comes I'll probably have a million questions for you
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom