1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what are they??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by WarrenHound, Nov 11, 2012.

1. WarrenHound

WarrenHound Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2012
    texas
    I was given some birds to cut a long story short and I originally thought they were cuckoo marans but the leg color is off??
    [​IMG]chick 1

[​IMG]chick 2 feather legs but not feet

[​IMG]chick 3

they are larger than some of my standard chicks that have lost all of their down.

2. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    what kind of combs? From here they look like dominiques...

Can I see closer pics of face and comb?

3. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Hatchery Barred Rocks and Rock mixes. One of them have Pea comb and feathered legs.

4. WarrenHound

May 14, 2012
    texas
    sure. again just asking breed...not gender or quality...breeder raised...marans...dommies. barred rocks, and cochins but she lives in a very rural area with bad reception so I cannot call her to ask my dad just showed up with them and said they were a gift from her. he already forgot what she told him they were and I wont be seeing her for a few months at least.

[​IMG]

not from a hatchery my dad knows the breeder but I cant get ahold of either of them..not sure why hatchery would have anything to do with it...not what I asked...I asked what breed not quality....

5. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    I believe they are mixes :)
    The first looks like a dominique, The one with feathered legs could be a maran or a cochin, mixed with a dominique. And the last looks like a Barred rock with side sprigs :)

6. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Sorry I was not clear. They are mixes.

7. WarrenHound

May 14, 2012
    texas
    finally got ahold of her...they are marans (one she said could possibly be a maran mix) and the leg color changed to pink today (she sold her cochins last year and I did not know)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the first face shot is also a single comb...not sure why it looks odd as the base on the one.. but all are single combs I do not see a rose like a dom would have .
    new head shots...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  8. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Ok, that makes sense. Cuckoo Marans legs can turn pinkish white as they get to be older chicks.
    But the green (willow) legs won't turn, that one will be your mix.
    cBest,
    Karen in western PA, USA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by