what are those circular metal attachy things called?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by YolandaT, Jun 3, 2010.

1. YolandaT

YolandaT Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I need your help!

I need to get something that will help me connect two overlapping pieces of hardware cloth in my run. I tried using bits of cut wire but it doesn't seem secure. I have seen many times that people use these metal attachy things. They are small circular bits of heavy gauge wire and you just put them on and clamp them shut with pliers. Does anyone know what these are called?

I've explained them at three hardware stores and the employees think I'm nutso, they have no idea what I'm talking about! LOL its gotten kind of funny but if I could find out the NAME of these things that would really help me out!

2. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    are they the J clips?? not sure??

3. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    washers - you mean washers - [​IMG]

I just reread - you don't mean washers - hmmm?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Either flat washers (sometimes called fenders, I dunno why!) or hog rings.

5. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    DH says you can use heavy duty wire staples and big pliers.

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Sounds like what you're asking for is J clips. You can usually find them at Tractor Supply or farm stores in the section where they have the rabbit hutches and stuff like that. Hope you find what you need!

7. YolandaT

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for your responses! The bits are not fully circular, they start c-shaped then get clamped shut. So not washers. More like the hog rings, I will try to ask for that and at least get something close... if not that then the J rings look like they could work too. At least now I knew what to search for. [​IMG]
    Thanks!~

8. YolandaT

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    A-ha! J clips led me to a 'rabbit cage building" website and the things I'm talking about are officially called C Rings. Seems to me any of the options mentioned will also do the job.

Wow. I've been searching for a week, shouldve just asked yall from the get-go. [​IMG]

Thanks again!

9. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    I believe you're talking about hog rings. I use the Loxit rings myself. The small ones if I'm just overlapping and connecting hardware cloth or the large ones if I'm attaching the hardware cloth to cattle panels or chain link. They work great.

Edited to add pic...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  10. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    Yep. I'm thinking you mean hog rings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by