What are we??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by melodie_a, Aug 28, 2010.

1. melodie_a

melodie_a Songster

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    We are new to chickens, can you help tell us for sure what we have? They are supposedly females and I was told one was an americauna (but I doubt that is correct) and the other was called a red-sex linked. I am not even sure exactly what that means. There are actually two of the red ones but one didn't want to come out of the house for the photo shoot!

First one has blueish legs:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The red chickens look like this:

[​IMG]

So what do you think?

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    oh the 1st 1 is so pretty, well they mean your 1st 1 is the americauna but I cant tell you if it is pure, the 2nd is the sex link red meaning it was bred with one of the red breeds and something elselike rhode island red X and they look like hens they should be laying soon by the look of them. gl in your blue eggs.

3. woodmort

woodmort Songster

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Look like my ameracuans/EEs and my red sex-link cross. Of the latter there are several one is called a Red Star, another golden comet--all look pretty much the same. Good laying birds.

4. BekahBear

BekahBear Songster

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    The first one is an EE (Easter Egger) and the other is a red sex-link

5. The Lisser

The Lisser Songster

6. Payette

Payette Chirping

Aug 29, 2010
    Earth
    Quote:I totally agree.

7. melodie_a

melodie_a Songster

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    Thank you everyone. That pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. We are hoping that sometime soon we will have eggs. I guess I am going to have to join the "waiting the impossible wait" thread! We really have no idea how old any of the chickens are so we don't know how much longer it will be... but I guess we will get there eventually.

Thanks again!

8. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Looks almost like the hen I have. A Chipmunk EE. Check out Breeds on BYC home page you learn alot.[​IMG]

9. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    I believe the second one if a Golden Buff. My pullet is one and looks just like that. I have four Golden Buffs, and they vary in color- from light butterscotch to dark cinnamon.

[​IMG] Here's mine. See the resemblance?

10. kathymccown

kathymccown In the Brooder

Jul 3, 2010
    Well, I think that answered the question I was going to ask about my "black star" that I don't think is...
    We ended up with two roos with our initial batch, and the barred one is really a watch dog around his girls, starting to whine (crowing) and is totally on the ball. Our pretty silver laced wyandotte on the other hand, is I believe the fashion consultant for the hens. He looks all pretty but acts mostly like one of the girls. You just never know. You might be lucky and he will stay tame for you. Handle them a lot. I hold them agains my chest and rub their throats. They close their eyes and make funny purring noises. It helps tame them by handing them a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: