what are y'all saving from the wild to deal with coming crisis?

Pics

ladyearth

Songster
7 Years
Nov 23, 2013
kentucky
to feed your feather crew? unless y'all have been on the moon lately{LOL). supposedly earth changes are here and getting worse everyday.
So much rain here in ky. and other breadbaskets areas. people having to sell off their herds last summer because of droughts. now flooding etc farmers fields flooded mud everywhere. other places droughts
Mainstream news is not stressing how bad our food supply is right now and coming. supposedly coming winter is to be worst on record
so what do y'all feel to save back for our feather friends. one chat room suggested grass seeds, wild seeds etc. even box elder. which I haven't looked up yet
the animals around here are acting strange
anyones thoughts?

Storing a year's worth of food back is just good sense regardless of why people might be concerned. Might lose the breadwinner or a breadwinner in the family, someone laid off, slow business if self employed, and yes the flooding we saw this spring is going to raise feed prices and thus food prices. I remember back in the late eighties feed prices soared for some reason and the chicken farms were advertising on the radio to come pick up your free chickens, from chick size to nearly half grown. I got an 18' long flat bed trailer full of the darned things for free. Standing room only. LOL

And learning about what wild foods might be used is a great idea even in good times if you have more time than money. I always thought fishing for trash fish like gar and carp would be a great idea for both chicken feed and dog feed, pressure can it, bones ought to be nearly jelly.

But this so called "climate change" was pushed on us in the eighties but society had enough since to call it quackery while they called it "global cooling". Then it became "global warming" and the science didn't back up their claims so they re branded it as "climate change".

The reality is that it is all propaganda designed to stampede people into supporting radical agendas, eliminating the raising of animals for food, forcing Agenda 21 type population clearances by forcing people off the rural land and back into cities. I used to run a volunteer fire department in Arkansas and we were trained at the state fire academy to save every building we could. These days the rural fire departments in my state are told not to fight the fire for safety reasons and just prevent the fire from spreading. I have literally been told this by folks who lost a home over a small kitchen fire that could have been put out.

So I wouldn't worry about what the mainstream media is saying. They are just pushing an agenda and are not trustworthy at all. There are people that believe this with all their heart because they have been terrified into thinking a disaster is sure to come. Same thing with Y2K, someone could make money or make hay politically so they helped push the panic while industry and government made the changes to the software to prevent problems.

So calm people, calm. Prepare is good, panic is silly, giving away your child's birthright to a thriving society, the ability to raise some backyard chickens, and to live in the country is not a smart idea.

This is exactly why we have decided to homestead. Not because of climate change, as that has been occurring, IMO and according to science and history, since the beginning of the earth, from the separation of Pangea to the beginning and maybe not complete ending of the Ice Age to known polar shifts. I do concern myself with scientist revealing a concern with global governments creating a world war over their mastery of altering regional weather patterns and how their efforts may alter weather patterns in other areas of the globe in a negative way. But our reason for homesteading is to be proliferate while our news refuses to inform us of the global food shortages. It amazes me that so many governments are paying farmers NOT to farm their land. It is almost like they want people standing in line begging them to feed and care for them.

I plan to do my family and my poultry both a favor, by eating the birds if things really go that far south. I have a couple of small children to feed, and feeding birds through a crisis is too many mouths for me to worry about.

With that said, my flock is extremely self sufficient, but any added feed just isn't going to happen here. I'll eat them first.

I've got a Comfrey patch established and will be adding more.
Once established, it can be harvested every three weeks.
It comes back every year. (Mine didn't even go dormant last winter)
All it requires is water and chicken manure to thrive.
So if the SHTF, I'll be able to sustain my flock and eat the roosters.
Of course, they'll be a lot of bandits attempting to steal your birds.

Bonus: I make new plants from root cuttings and they sell well.
It's also fabulous for making an ointment that is great for many skin ailments.

comfrey62b.jpg

Very interesting discussion! I’m impressed people are willing to talk about it here. If it came to eating our animals we would probably eat our horses first because they would starve first. As long as the hens were laying we’d eat eggs until we had to eat the chickens. I’d share with my daughter and son in law until it was gone. My daughter cans but not in the quantities we all need. :confused:

No, they were not simplified, they will always be representative of reality. These models were taught a hundred years after the industrial revolution even though we have far more acres of forest in the U.S. than we had at the turn of the century. We burned far, far, far more coal and wood then than we do now. BTW all that concrete on the ground in in those commercial buildings and residential driveways and side walk soak up CO2 like a sponge, first helping when the concrete is curing and later making it more porous as it dissolves the concrete. CO2 and rain water combine to form carbonic acid, the carbonic acid eats away at the concrete and locks up the Co2. Same as limestone and that ought not to surprise you as we get cement from burning limestone. And if there are more bare areas that is that much more limestone exposed and that much more CO2 turning into carbonic acid and being locked away in the stone.

And forget about the land mass and vegetation, the oceans are the largest sink of CO2 and the algae and other organisms in the ocean have a much larger effect than land vegetation. 71% of the surface area on Earth is water. Water is far more productive for life than land.

If you knew about all this you wouldn't have made that argument. Global cooling/global warming/climate change hoaxes only fell on fertile ground once the educational system had been dumbed down enough.

Not to mention the "acid rain" that was supposed to kill off half of the U.S. in the seventies? That went away, that was your horrible and evil CO2 reacting with rain water to form carbonic acid. It was supposed to destroy most of the forest in the U.S. but the hoax failed after honest scientists realized the higher the CO2 in the air, the quicker it was washed and and neutralized, washed into the ocean, subducted into the crust or turned into coral reefs and animal shells. The ocean is a vast carbon sink and perhaps by 2100 we might see a .3 point change in sea water IF the carbon cycle stopped working which is isn't going to do. Even if we do lose .3 points on the PH scale we are still 300 years away from the ocean being even slightly acidic instead of alkaline.

Again, if people are ignorant of science they will fall for hoaxes. The vast majority of people do not believe in global warming and if one did they wouldn't be burning fossil fuels or increasing their carbon foot print by posting on the internet and would kill every animal they have, have their car crushed, and go live in the forest.

Your chickens give off CO2 and increase your carbon foot print. If you believe in climate change you know what to do.

Well hopefully more people realize the truth that
IMO and according to science and history

So good you see the science on this. Clearly the evidence shows that since the industrial revolution the earth has been warming at a greater rate. For some reason people want to deny science and stick their heads in the sand and pretend all is well. Our kids are inheriting a mess.

Gary

Gearhart. I have a Masters Degree in Biological Science. My husband has a PhD and just retired as a Botany Professor. Science has moved ahead since you were in high school. Trust me. You are criticizing new knowledge with old ideas.

Popular Science may be interesting but it is not peer reviewed literature.

Ps if you took biochem you’d understand how inadequate high school level — actually junior high now — cycles are.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom